gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

When to cut down ornimental grasses?

So when is it time to cut the Big grass? I have 9 spots of ornamental grass. It's brown and going down for the winter. I can't remember if I cut it down last fall or spring. I know people say both. What do you all think.

Thanks

Dono

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I leave it til early spring. To me, part of the point of growing ornamental grass is to have the winter interest. It isn't green, but it's there and the grasses sway in the wind, giving your winter garden still a sense of motion and liveliness. But in the early spring, you need to cut it all down before the new sprouts start. Otherwise it is a big pain (trust me I have done this! :) ). Once the new sprouts start, you can't just cut the whole thing down, you have to cut each individual old stalk out without harming the new ones and it takes hours. If you never cut it (tried that too!) it looks ugly and the old stuff tends to choke out the new.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Cool after your post I remembered I waited till spring last time. I remember them in the winter. I even used some on the stalks for a mohawk for my snowman. I cut it down to about 2 foot than burnt the rest.

Some people do it in the fall some in the spring some burn them down others cut them down.

Thanks

This reminded me about me and my neighbor shooting the head off a snowman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQmm3OCfrvc

Return to “Lawn Care”