pusball
Newly Registered

Mushrooms on my lawn?

Every year I get mushrooms on my lawn under the two maple trees in my backyard. I don't over water, sometimes not at all and they still come up, over and over. I wouldnt really care but this is where I have my lawn furniture and my bar-b-q because its a nice shady spot and I live in the Okanagan in BC canada. What can I do to get rid of them? :?:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the Forum Pusball!! I live just up the road from you in Quesnel!!
There can be a few reasons why mushrooms are growing in your lawn. Mushrooms love carbon rich soil, meaning soil containing rotting wood, or wood chips, dried leaves, straw, etc. To counteract this, if it is the problem, you need to get more nitrogen in those areas. Add some well rotted manure, or blood meal to your lawn and it should help.
Also, grass thrives at a PH level of 6.5, and mushrooms prefer a lower PH level. So you should test the PH level around your trees, and you will probably find that it is acidic, and that you need to add lime.

Hope this helps - feel free to come back if you have any more questions or just need to chat! :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Pusball,

mushrooms are just the fruiting bodies or fungi that you have growing in your soil. And you really and truly do want the fungi in the soil as they help to create rich, humusy soil that your grass will just love.

Anyway, the reason why the fruiting bodies come up every year is because the fungi are reproducing. Try out Val's recommendations. If the fungi are arbuscular mycchorizal fungi they will further help plants in your soil by feeding them as well. So, this is definately something that you want to keep around.

I have personally found in the past that simply knocking the mushrooms over works well. Then, they just get chopping up by the mower. No biggy.
Last edited by opabinia51 on Tue May 02, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pusball
Newly Registered

ok, maybe I will put some lime on them, there are alot of them and they don't look good, all slimey and stuff, I just want a nice lawn I can walk on with bare feet. There is alot of dead wood chips in the soil that I planted the lawn in. Most of all, my G/F hates them, LOL. thanks 4 yer help

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

If you have wood chips in the soil as well, you might want to up the nitrogen level as well as liming. You can do this by just raking some well rotted manure or blood meal across the area.
Nothing like slimy stuff between the toes!! Good luck! :wink:

Val

webmaster
Site Admin

And oldie but goldie. Worth re-reading!

Return to “Lawn Care”