Jerome
Newly Registered

Grass seed choice

Ilive in Oak Island NC just moved here no gress in my yard just weeds and sand I have trees in the yard so I have partial shade and do not have an irrigation system can I get some help on this?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have had good luck with a mix called orchard grass, it has a lot of short fescues seed in it. It has stayed green and some of it has never been watered. I planted the part I never watered just before the rain season so it had time to get established. Some of the lawns are to far from the house to water. This grass is good in the shade and not bad in the sun. The mix is expensive but worth it. Another good mix I will be trying in very sunny spots is called water miser and it has deep roots so it stays green. The mix has lots of tall fescues grass in it. This mix cost more than normal seed mixes but is not as expensive as the orchard mix. You can get the seed at a farm supply store in 50lb bags. Lime if as needed by testing the PH and fertilize when you plant the seed.

Jerome
Newly Registered

I saw your reply to my question I want to be sure it lives well in heavy sandy soil?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a little article about grass for sandy soil... top recommendation is fescue as tomf suggested

https://www.dannylipford.com/diy-home-improvement/lawn-and-gardening/best-drought-tolerant-lawn-grass-for-sandy-soil/

Also right now, before you plant your seed would be a good time to till in a bunch of compost, composted manure, fall leaves, whatever organic like that you can get, so that your soil will no longer be quite so sandy!

Here's a little bit about grass for shade:

As far as grass types for shade, St. Augustine is a good warm season variety; red fescue or Chewings fescue are good cool season types.
https://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=LawnGarden/GrassShade

In southern locations, the best shade tolerant grass is St. Augustine grass. The only drawback to this grass is that it must be sprigged or sodded to establish as no seeds are available. It also has limited cold tolerance making it questionable for winter survival in cooler parts of the transistion zone. ---

GRASSES USED / SHADE AREAS

Saint Augustine - Best choice - PLUGS ONLY - NO seeds.

Zoysia (slightly below St. Aug in tolerance / less the further North the grass is planted)

Centipede (works best in high shade areas / high limbs)
https://www.shadegrass.com/info/southern.html

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I will trade you some clay soil for some of that sandy soil, the mix would help both soils. The cost of mail may be a bit much all though. :lol:

marysson
Newly Registered

I live in southern california. my soil is very hard and poor. I used to have enough bermuda, weeds and some st. augustine that I once had a lawn. due to water issues over many years they grass lawn has thinned out so much it is almost dirt in many areas. I have little to no money to spend.
what is the best grass seed to buy that will spread ( I think maybe bermuda ? ) and what is the season of the year that I can start to plant ?
thanks.

Return to “Lawn Care”