RD
Newly Registered

Advice needed on new lawn

Hello everyone, I am new to this and am a bit lost so I thought Id try this out.

A month ago today we had our yard seeded with tall fescue seed. We paid people to gut the yard and level it out and get it ready to seed, then seed. I happen to think they did a terrible job, but that's besides the point.

Our yard is infested with crabgrass and other types of weeds. It's to the point where you almost see more weeds than new grass. The grass has grown in pretty well - Id estimate that 75% of the yard is covered with new grass. There are some bald spots where nothing has grown, and some thin spots where we need to seed again to fill things in.

So, my wife and I have gone around and have been digging the weeds out by the root one by one. It's been an absolute pain, but we weren't sure if its too soon to by something to sprinkle across the yard and there's too much to use a spray on, so that's what we decided. We're almost done in the backyard with the major stuff - some minor things remain but it looks real nice in the parts we've managed to 'pluck' out the bad stuff.

So my question is, where do we go from here? Should we buy something to kill the weeds and crabgrass, or should we re-seed to make the yard fuller? We don't want to have to go through and rip out the weeds again one by one if we were to seed again, and we don't know if there is a product that would work for us.

We live in Orange County, Ca so we don't really have true seasons like other parts of the country. Can anyone help? Thank you very much.

GeorgiaGirl

I'm not sure but I think a problem you may have is that fescue is considered a "cool season" grass (meaning it thrives in cooler climates and weather -- as opposed to Bermuda and other "warm season" turf types that thrive in heat)... do you know others in your area who have had success with tall fescue?

I would reseed/overseed when the temps start to fall a bit more... and keep the seed moist at all times for the first two weeks. In theory, the grass will grow fast enough to outpace many potential weeds (you'll still have some -- that's part of life when growing a lawn -- but they won't be nearly as pervasive as your grass grows taller). You can't use a pre-emergent at this point because that would keep the new grass seed from germinating... but with cooler temperatures, the grass should sprout and grow faster than it did even a month ago.

RD
Newly Registered

Thank you for your quick response.

The reason we went with the tall fescue is because my father in law did have success with it, and was fond of it at a previous residence. I honestly don't know much about it.

Re: a pre emergent. Since we are now a month removed from seeding, can we now apply the pre emergent? For the past week or so there doesn't appear to be any 'new' grass. Just the stuff that has already grown in getting bigger. So I don't think there is any problem of the seed not germinating - The seed we put down before appears to not be sprouting any new ones.

I just want to know now that it's 29 days in, whats the best option? Would a pre emergent work now, then wait a bit and reseed once we are able to? Or should we reseed now and wait to drop a pre emergent later on?

Return to “Lawn Care”