ddaann10
Newly Registered

planting grass seed

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone could help me?? when is the latest I can put grass seed down???

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi and welcome to the forum. I took the liberty of moving your question about grass seed to the Lawn Care Forum, where a lot more people will see it who might be able to answer your question.

However, I don't think anyone will be able to answer it until you tell us whether you are in Portsmouth Ohio, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Virginia, Oregon, or England (or I'm sure there's some I missed). It makes a big difference. :) Preferably tell us where you are and what USDA hardiness zone you are in, and/or when your frost usually starts in the fall.

The more info you can give us, the better answers we can give you!

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Usually you want to plant grass seed in spring or fall. Summer's usually too hot and winter covered in snow. If you know you're gonna get a good rain you can try, I can never get grass seed to grow without it raining.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It is best to plant it when the soil is about 59 deg. no less than 50Deg. You want the daily air to be no less them 50 deg. If you are from Maine Sept. would be OK. There are cool grasses and warm grasses. Your store should sell the right mix for your area.
If you are not able to water then plant just before it rains.
Last edited by tomf on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

ddaann10
Newly Registered

Thanks for the help!!! oh and its portsmouth england!!

Thanks again. :D :D :D

Bestlawn
Cool Member

Now is the time in England and no later than mid-September.

phantomphan
Newly Registered

I like to seed my yard in spring and fall, the grass seeds I use recommend that the temperature be between 60f and 80f degrees. this information is usually printed on the bag.

Return to “Lawn Care”