white118

Cutting bermuda

How should I be cutting my bermuda grass? New lawn coming in good still have some weeding to do but more than 80% is coming in real nice. I know I should be cutting it about 1.5 inches. Should I be cutting at a angle or mow around and around blowing the grass out or what? Need some help. Thanks

phantomphan
Newly Registered

I used to work on a golf course for three years and I can tell you this about bermuda grass. it is best cut with reel mower not a rotary type. the reel mowers cut short type grasses much better. a reel mower has curved blades that push the grass into a stationary blade acting like a scissor and giving a nice clean cut, whereas a rotary mower hacks at the grass and if the blade is not sharp can leave jagged edges on the blades of the grass which will make the grass prone to disease. most of the reel mowers I have seen on the market have 5 blades, but a few have 7. the 7 bladed one will give you a nicer looking cut. they also make electric models these days so you don't have to push as much. as for the mowing pattern, one time mow horizontally, the next time mow vertically, the next diagonally, and the next the opposite diagonal, this will create a nice mowing pattern and keep the grass from laying over.

Return to “Lawn Care”