catalanbarca
Newly Registered

Another Weed or Grass identification - stumped with new lawn

So we recentyl sodded our yard and spent many weeks digging these weeds (or grass seed/bulbs up) out of our lawn. Once we put fertilized, sodded and put much water to the lawn these starting sprouting up all over. I guess its a type of grass but these bulbs or seeds are anywhere from 4 to 10 inches deep and grow like spider webs and often have many bulbs connected. They grow faster then the lawn and are very distinct in our new lawn which is medallion plus (fescue and bluegrass mix) I have attached pictures. Thanks for any help on this matter. Also is there any way to get rid of them that doens't hurt my new lawn?

[img]https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e149/catalanbarca/DSC_0177.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e149/catalanbarca/DSC_0168.jpg[/img]

[/img][/url]

applestar
Mod

If they have triangular stems, they're Nutsedge -- probably the yellow kind (Cyperus esculentus) They grow seeds on what always reminds me of Sparklers (you know, the firecrackers that you hold on long sticks that sparkles and pops?)

Good job chasing down those roots and little tubers! As you said, they're distinct and easy to ID. I usually just keep pulling them after good soaking rain when the ground's saturated, then you can get a lot of the root systems, although the pesky little tubers can remain -- but they get smaller and smaller. I have some GIANTS this year in some corners of the garden though, that I didn't bother to eradicate last year -- so they're growing on much bigger tubers AND we had all that rain. This one LOVES moisture and will even thrive in boggy areas, but it's also annoyingly drought tolerant (due to tubers) and will be the last ones standing. (Big weeds are no biggie -- just more GREEN ingredients for your compost pile! :wink: )

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nutsedge is a really difficult weed to deal with. Here's a link to a nice little article about managing it:

https://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=842&bhcd2=1247830093

Corn gluten meal is a natural corn based product that works as a pre-emergent herbicide. Apply early in the spring and it will keep weed seeds including nutsedge from sprouting, while it actually feeds your regular grass.

But it doesn't kill existing weeds, so you probably still have to do some digging and pulling.

Also work on changing the conditions, so it's not so favorable for the nutsedge. Nutsedge likes lots of sun and lots of moisture. It tends to appear in less well drained areas. So increasing shade and drainage discourages it, as well as cutting back watering (but if you're in one of the areas with lots of rain this year, that's probably part of why the nutsedge is thriving). It thrives in soils low in calcium, so increasing calcium levels discourages it.

catalanbarca
Newly Registered

Thank you both very much for the identification and knowledge. This is very helpful. The quick response and help will surely bring me back to such a great forum.

Return to “Lawn Care”