jnboyd
Newly Registered

patchy lawn color

My lawn has had light and dark patchy color for the last couple of years. It is a little like a camoflage pattern. But it is healthy and grows well everywhere. I used to have an organic lawn service, who did not do anything for the problem (plus my yard always smelled like dead fish). Based on information I saw on the internet, I have fertilized it with 29-0-4 fertilizer twice now over the last month with absolutely no difference. What am I doing wrong?

P.S. - I use reclaimed water, if that matters for this.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

You could be mowing too low. A common mistake, I believe, during the summer months. Set the mower blades to mow higher; read your manual and it will tell you how to adjust. Then during the winter, you can mow lower.

Let us know how it turns out. 8)

jnboyd
Newly Registered

Thanks Julie. I actually mow my lawn quite high to prevent problems with it. The mower is set to one of the highest notches. Maybe I need to just keep going with fertilizer and see what happens. Since the soil can be very sandy here, I wonder if a lot of the fertilizer just washes down when I water it.

Bestlawn
Cool Member

I need to know what type of grass you have and whether the light colored grass looks like the same grass or if the blades are different - shape, size, rate of growth. What I'm thinking is the possibility of Poa trivialis or another type of grass that is mixed with yours.

The best way to determine your lawn's nutrient needs is to get a [url=https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/SS317]soil test[/url]. Locate your University of Florida [url=https://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/map/]cooperative extension office[/url] in your county for testing information. They can also identify the grass you are wondering about, as well help you find solutions if there is a problem.

Return to “Lawn Care”