CaseyRetrop
Newly Registered

Electric Lawn Mower?

We've had one for a little bit and we've been super impressed. It runs green and inexpensive(about 55cents a charge) and it's super quiet, which is great if you've critters on the premises. Would be really interested in hearing what everyone else thinks. We love ours!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We use an electric mower on a cord. For our little patch of lawn, it works great, but I wouldn't want to mess with the cord if you have a lot of lawn. But electric is quiet and clean and cheap and when we switch to wind or solar or whatever you can still use it! We have a rechargeable edger which works great too.

Bear in the garden

I wouldn't give up my Black and Decker rechargeable mower for any thing I've had it for 3 yrs and I love it, its easy to use no more gas can sitting around, the charge last about 4 hrs and I can cut my lawn 2/3 time before I recharge it, and it doesn't cost that much more to buy than a gas mower and the best part I can go out early in the morning and mow and no one hears it :D

Bear

DanHurt
Newly Registered

I've been using a Neuton rechargable mower for the past few years and love it.

[url]https://www.neutonpower.com/[/url]

[img]https://www.neutonpower.com/content/images/ce5_mower-250.jpg[/img]
Last edited by DanHurt on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I think it is a good thing for you to use, it is less noisy for the people near you and this alone is thoughtful of you. I see some people are in to push mowers sans any power other than human, they are a bit of work to use all though.

JoeSylvan
Newly Registered

I've always used a combination of a reel mower and a gas mower. My gas mower has just recently broken down for the last time.
My neighbor bought one of these RechargeMowers a few months ago and is always bragging about it. He of course took the opportunity to tell me about how, "Low maintenance" the mower is.
He let me borrow his to try out on my front lawn. I'm in love. I'll be ordering my own sometime later this week. I just hopped on Google to look for reviews and this thread popped out. I guess I'll have to post my thoughts on the mower after I get it and use it for a little while.

eatingorange
Newly Registered

I bought a Black & Decker 36-volt rechargeable about a month ago. So far, I'm very happy with it. I really like not having the gas exhaust fumes and not having to deal with storing (and inevitably spilling) gasoline.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

And green on all you good people! Bless you! :D

I have not gone there becasue I have not yet found the electric that allows for the four inch high cut I use as my primary weed control. If somebody can steer me towards one that allows me to stay no pesticides and get the bennies of the electric revolution, I will sing it's praises from the rooftops... same with the reel mowers...

You listening yet, B&D? Neutron? It's not just me... there are a LOT of us that will bump you up...

HG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"Single-lever Height Control for Easier Adjustments
Instead of having to adjust each wheel when changing the height of the mower blade, the Earthwise 60120 Cordless Electric Mower features a single-lever height control system that makes it easier than ever to adjust the height of the cut. You can choose between seven height positions, ranging from 1-1/2 to four inches." https://www.amazon.com/Earthwise-60120-20-Inch-Cordless-Electric/dp/B001DZJYJO

Next question? :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Nice fiind RBG! I thought you'd found me the Grail...

I'm still not sure: I just spent an hour reading reviews and while some folks are very happy there do appear to be a few issues with this unit. There is a recurrent issue with the wheels and axles, falling off and breaking; seems they are not well designed. The power and batteries seem to be widely variable, with some touting excellent longevity and charging and others not able to get it to charge even the first time (charging seems to have gone the cheap as well; you have to stop charging, rather than a proper trickle charger).

Finally any issues that did arise are not dealt with by the company, but through third party providers who are often not able to get through to Earthwise themselves... only ninety days warranty on the batteries and one person who had issues said the company stuck to their guns on the issue.

The positives are glowing, and almost enough to get me past the downsides... but not quite. Too bad because this is the first one getting the height adjustment right, really right from all reports. Close but not quite... but thanks for trying, RBG.

And if anyone from Earthwise is listening, here's the hit list...

Wheels and axles need to get much sturdier...

The foam handle bar needs to get sturdier... lots of minor disatisfaction there

Get a decent charging system and batteries; we'll pay more if we need to...

Get on it and I'll buy one; better yet send me a new tester and I'll give it a go. If it performs as expected I will be the first to write the glowing review...

HG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, hey, you didn't specify all that other stuff! :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Ummm..."must last more than a year"... or "work at least once".

It's a shame because the product hits on some cylinders, misses on others. Seems like a shoddy design and production process is killing them; you aren't going to get good word of mouth with "The wheels fall off", and they don't seem to be doing much of any other advertising that I can see...

I'm serious, Earthwise! Get this right and we'll move some product for you! But I will not buy and definitely won't recommend a product with so many unhappy customers...

HG

Return to “Lawn Care”