sannesley
Newly Registered

Some questions

Here's the situation

I recently dug up the lawn at the rear of our house which had been in place for at least 10+ years as that's when we bought the house.

Part of the lawn is shaded by a trellis so that it never recieves direct sunlight. In this area I sowed a 'shady' variety of grass seed and normal grass seed on the rest of the lawn which receives sunlight at some point throughout the day.

The result is that the lawn in the shady area has taken longer to come up and is patchy in areas. I should point out that the old lawn was a mixture of grass and moss in that area but more grass than moss if you know what I mean.

The lawn in the sunny area has come up ok. I personally think that the sunny area is a bit thin as well in that you can see the soil below in parts. I've cut the lawn at the highest setting on the mower and I'm hoping that this will encourage the grass to thicken up and in time cover some of the bare patches.

I have considered scattering a mix of grass seed and ordinary compost onto the barer parts and leaving it to germinate to help fill in the patches. The only problem with this is that the lawn will need mowing before the seed has germinated and if I was to cut the grass the seed would be scattered by the hover mower instead of filling out the bare patches.

Do you seasoned professionals have any advice that you could give me to help with establishing this lawn. Is it just a matter of waiting and time and nature will thicken out the lawn??

Return to “Lawn Care”