fishwife
Newly Registered

HELP- neglected lawn

Hi!

I need some help as I am having trouble on where to start in repairing my lawn which I believe is damaged.

The story: My family had 3 rabbits over a year ago and we made the mistake of letting them roam free in our back garden and as time went on, we were shocked to see that all the grass in our lawn is gone. We thought at first that they would grow back in a few days or weeks but they didn't. Now our back garden is just brown as in soil (very clayey) and pardon the image, littered with the rabbits manure. The rain is also very constant here so that doesn't help matters either. ANd now, in summer, the soil is cracked the dryness and heat.

I anticipate some sermon for being lazy and negligent of the situation that could have been avoided.

I'd like to know if digging up the top soil and laying grass seed could be an answer to this AND if not, would laying a new turf lawn be advisable and possible to do. ANd is it ok to do that at this time of year or which season would be best?

I hope that you could help me .

Hoping for your response and have a good day!

Bestlawn
Cool Member

Can't answer your questions because I don't know where you are. Please tell where you live. That determines the type of grass you have and what can be done at this time of year. On the other hand though, you can lay sod any time the ground is not frozen. You will need to take care of the hardpan soil first, which is simply a matter of getting a soil test, watering properly, and adding organic matter.

fishwife
Newly Registered

Bestlawn wrote:Can't answer your questions because I don't know where you are. Please tell where you live. That determines the type of grass you have and what can be done at this time of year. On the other hand though, you can lay sod any time the ground is not frozen. You will need to take care of the hardpan soil first, which is simply a matter of getting a soil test, watering properly, and adding organic matter.
I live in Dublin in Ireland. Obviously it rains a lot in here but at present, it's summer and theres a lot of sunshine for weeks now. Do you know of any link that has the steb by step process of laying the sod/turf? thanks very much.

Bestlawn
Cool Member

Googled and found this......

[url=https://www.dublinlawnturf.ie/about-us.php]Dublin Lawn Turf[/url]

Return to “Lawn Care”