Rob Millar

Renovating a very neglected Lawn

If a lawn is left for a while and becomes tall and full of small clumps, what is the best way to bring it back to being a reasonable lawn?

I would guess that you would apply a load of topsoil, roll it, and then either leave it or seed very likely. Is this correct?

I would normally turf if it was this bad, I just wanted to know if anything to start to bring it back.

Many thanks

Rob

Bestlawn
Cool Member

This time of year, you can't do any seeding. The best thing is to apply the basics and maintain that way going forward until fall when you can seed. Control weeds using whatever method you prefer I.e. organic or chemical preference. Keep in mind the key to a good lawn is the soil, so get a soil test and be sure to add organic matter like compost, compost tea, molasses, fish hydrolysate, etc. I doubt you need to add any topsoil, just whatever amendments the test recommends.

The basics are the proper methods of:
1. watering
2. mowing
3. fertilizing

You don't want to remove more than 1/3 at a time and that's the reason you have to do it gradually to get it down to maintenance height of 3 inches or slightly higher. Chopping it off all at once is called scalping, and you don't want to do that or the grass will become stressed, damaged, and vulnerable to disease.

Fertilize right now. It's not something you want to do in June or July when the weather is hot. Other than fertilizer, recommendations per soil test can be applied any time, such as lime/sulfur/etc.

Rob Millar

sweet. Cheers.

I have seeded another garden, but its not coming up. Is it really only thats its spring the only reason theres no grass yet? I know autumn is the best time for seed, but ive seen grass seed sown about now and its come up fine..

Bestlawn
Cool Member

Need more information please, Rob. I don't know when you seeded (how long ago - days, weeks?) and don't know what grass it is. If it's Bluegrass, it can take weeks to begin germinating. If it's Ryegrass, it should only be a couple or three days to begin germinating. Others normally begin germinating rather quickly also.

The problem isn't that its spring. If sown properly and kept moist, the grass should come up just fine. The problem with spring seeding is the later you do it, the less likely the new grass can survive hot summer that soon arrives. The main thing about getting seeds to germinate though is the process.

Rob Millar

I sowed on something like the 24th of April. I didnt spray the ground, but the seeds went down onto rolled top soil which I then raked. I don't know what tyoe of grass it is, but the box said it would take two weeks. Its been about four- I re-seeded after two weeks as there was no germination

The guy who's garden it is may not have watered them enough, though I have seen how he does it and it looked watered enough.. I just have no other suggestions..

Return to “Lawn Care”