AmyEm
Newly Registered

Creeping Charlie everywhere!

We have a huge problem with creeping charlie in our yard. Is there a way to get rid of it besides spraying? There is so much--there is no possible way we could pull it all by hand. Will it end up killing all of our grass?

I'd rather not spray but if it continues like this we are going to end up with an entire yard of creeping charlie and nothing else.

Bestlawn
Cool Member

AmyEm, you're going to have to choose because you can't have it both ways, I'm afraid. Because you say you'd rather not spray makes me think you prefer to garden and care for your lawn organically and stay away from chemicals. But sometimes we just have to choose.....or cheat LOL.

Some organic gardeners don't care what grows in the lawn or what takes over the lawn. Some maintain organically and have showplace landscapes because they put in the additional work, so they'd never say "no way" or something can't be done. And some have a great lawn because they cheat a little. Decide if you want to cheat or not. In some cases, it may be necessary to give yourself an edge, a good head start over the weeds and then commit to keeping your finger off the trigger.

Well, whatever you decide to do, the best time for creeping charlie control is late fall. You can do whatever right now, but that will only be temporary and late fall concentration will still be necessary. Even so, it might be a late fall battle for 2 or 3 years in a row, but you'll notice a significant difference each time....a really big difference.

Also, there is garden vinegar (20%) you can purchase, but be careful because even though it is organic, it will kill everything it touches. I have to admit I don't know of anyone using it for creeping charlie but it should work fine.

Return to “Lawn Care”