thomascryer
Newly Registered

grass seed what do I do

I have just taken up slabs from my back garden and broke up all the concrete hardcore now I have dug a massive hole and buried all the hardcore (on a budget didnt want to get a skip) all the soil that I dug up I have now spread all over the garden with a bit of clay here and there but not to bad

question 1. do I need to flatten the soil as in roll it or do I just lightly rake it over before I put the grass seed down.

question 2. what grass seed do you recommend for this type of soil (clay ish) and it has to be hard wearing because of children and dog but want something that also looks nice.

Bestlawn
Cool Member

Tell me where you live, please.

Just rake the soil to grade it.

thomascryer
Newly Registered

I live near hastings east sussex

thomascryer
Newly Registered

was also meant to say the garden is a sun trap and it gets very hot out there well when the sun is here that is. :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Think mild Mid Atlantic climate, BL...

HG

Bestlawn
Cool Member

Okay, mild mid Atlantic. Got it! LOL
Thanx HG.

I'd say you want Bluegrass, thomascryer. It will take the seasonal heat very well. Either you irrigate to keep it green, or don't irrigate and let it go dormant. It will perk back up when cooler temps prevail. Which one you do is up to you.

One great characteristic about Bluegrass is the way it grows and reproduces itself. It tillers new leaves and also spreads horizontally across the soil by rhizomes (horizontal roots near the soil surface). This makes it uniquely able to repair and recover from damage. Short of daily/weekly soccer games LOL, there is almost no amount of children at play that can truly be considered high traffic. Therefore, you wouldn't think in terms of wear tolerance where the children are concerned, even though Bluegrass is wear tolerant and where it might lack in that area, it more than makes up for in repairability. However, I need to point out that no grass can stand up to a dog. The doggie frolicing and playing with the children is one thing but if the yard is generally where the dog goes, then you might want to think about alternative ground cover. Or, you can create a path just for your canine and a specific area just for him. In other words, "looks nice" and "dog" are not synonymous LOL. If it's his yard, then make it his yard. If it's your lawn, then make sure it stays that way.

Another wonderful characteristic about Bluegrass is doggie and the children will love the way it feels.

You need to get a soil test. That is important, but in case you don't, at least be sure to apply organic matter. Compost is perfect and normally inexpensive. Your township waste management might offer compost for free. Apply 1/4 inch all over. That works out to a cubic yard per 1000 square feet.

After spreading compost, use a rake to smooth the surface, then plant your seeds.

Let me know if you need planting instructions and/or maintenance schedule.

Return to “Lawn Care”