brandyball
Newly Registered

Ridges on Lawn Surface - What are they?

Hi, recently some parts of my lawn have developed ridges. They're quite even and the same size all along the ridge, about 7 feet in length. It's not on all of the lawn just in certain places. Can anyone tell me what is causing this, or have they ever heard of this problem before? Thanks for your help in advance.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What happens when you step on them? Mole tunnels will often look like that, but being hollow under the ridge, will tend to squash when you step on them. Gopher tunnels may also look like that. Often the gopher tunnels don't show on the surface, because they are deeper, but sometimes (especially in the spring!) they come closer to the surface and then they may leave ridges also. If your ridges are solid, not tunnels, then someone with more knowledge of lawns will have to give it a try.

brandyball
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply rainbowgardener. But when you step on them they are hard, no give in them at all. Although we've lived here 20 yrs this is the first time they have appeared.

Bestlawn
Cool Member

When you get to your [url=https://urbanext.illinois.edu/netlinks/ces.html]state's extension service[/url] website, locate the county offices so you can find the location near you. If I knew what state you live in, I would link you directly.

Call your extension service near you and ask for soil test information and sampling instructions. You will also find a link to this information at the website. I cannot pinpoint your problem, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the soil. A soil test will evaluate soil structure, nutrient value, and pH balance among other things and will tell you what to do about them. Also, inquire of plant pathology and where to submit samples for disease testing. It is possible some diseases manifest this way in the beginning stage, and I think you want to at least be able to rule that out.

Other than that, is it possible this results from a previous fertilizer application? If the fert was applied in straight lines like that, it could easily cause this appearance.

brandyball
Newly Registered

Thanks bestlawn I live in County Donegal in Ireland. I'll certainly take your advice to get the soil tested as nobody I've spoken to seems to know what it is. Thanks again

Bestlawn
Cool Member

Oh LOL you're in Ireland. I can't link you to that, but if there is farming or agriculture service or even a garden center, they should be able to direct you to soil testing.

brandyball
Newly Registered

Thanks bestlawn for all the advice I appreciate it.

Return to “Lawn Care”