dsocha
Newly Registered

White 4" clover like ...

Started small a few years ago and now has spreaded to many areas of my lawn. All white and in groups. Grass looks gone in this hugh spots of white. Started to see a small area of pink as well.

4 inches in height and has 4 to 6 white heads or flower buds on top.

The pinkish ones has a hair look on top.

How do I stop this from spreading and what is it.

Thanks,

Doug

plkelly

Are you sure it's clover? Maybe a picture if you're not sure?

I had field clover seeds in some topsoil I had brought in last year. It took over everything. (Won't be buying from that company again!) Long story short, I put nitrogen granules all over it. It sounds counter-intuitive, but clover doesn't like to grow in nitrogen rich soil. I don't use any RoundUp or similar products. I just don't like the idea of it, especially because we are on a well here.

However . . . although the majority of the clover turned yellow and partially rakes out, I'm still doing a lot of digging out there (if this rain would quit!) to get the rest. And I lost a bit of ground cover I had planted last year that was growing well. I'm doing a small area at a time and then putting down a heavy layer of newspapers and covering with soil and mulch and replanting with mostly perennials and ground covers. Of course if it's in your yard you could just reseed with grass.

Hope that helps!

Return to “Lawn Care”