reptile dude007

Grass questions

I am cleaning up my back yard, it is pretty darn bad. We kinda let it go, every thing died. Any ways, I am taking up the dead lawn along with the crab grass that grew.
Will the crab grass come back, even if I take it out by the roots?
What is the best type of grass, for shady areas?
Is there any thing I should to, to prepare the area for grass?
I am planning on starting it from seeds, is there any tips for starting it from seeds?
Any other tips for a newbie?

Bestlawn
Cool Member

Are you sure it's crabgrass? Kind of early to see much crabgrass right now. It begins to germinate around this time of year starting in March. It doesn't grow back after you kill or remove it, but there are numerous seeds and that is how it grows. Crabgrass is an annual plant with a life cycle of just one growing season. When it dies out in fall, it doesn't return the next year, but it leaves lots of seeds on the soil before it goes. Those seeds germinate the following spring. So no, it doesn't come back by any sense of the term, but each year's crop might seem so unless you control it before it flowers and drops seeds, or you prevent the seeds from germinating. After you get rid of them now, it will seem like they came back, but that's not what happens. There are still hundreds of seeds in the soil yet to germinate, and germination continues through June or even July. But as I mentioned, I sort of doubt those are crabgrass you see right now. You might see some seedlings right now but not mature plants. You say you let the yard go, so I expect there exists a lot of various types of weeds, some of which might be mistaken for crabgrass. [url=https://www.turf.uiuc.edu/weed_web/index.htm]This site[/url] can help you identify crabgrass and various others. [url=https://whizlab.isis.vt.edu/servlet/wid?table=grasses]This site[/url] can help you identify by description.

To help with your other questions, I need to know what state you live in so I can answer with grass type, what to do, and when to do it. Also, please tell me if you have shade and how many hours a day the grass receives sunlight.

reptile dude007

Not really, my grand mother was over here the other day and she said it was crab grass. I will see if I can get a picture of it.

I live in Southern California, about ten miles from the beach. Probably 50% of the back yard is shade. It gets ap. 3 hours in the morning, and 5 hours in the evening. But it is not very strong light. Yeah there is a bunch of undesired plants.

Bestlawn
Cool Member

Oh darn, you are in Southern California AND you have shade. I'm not good with the warm season grass types, and especially don't know which one(s) are best for shade. But, I'm even worse when it comes to Southern California. That is the only are I have a problem with.

reptile dude007

lol. Thanks! I will continue to google while you do that :).

reptile dude007

Bermuda grass! It is perfect!
Plus it is a nice strong grass, so it can stand tortoise's munching on it.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

reptile dude007

I'm in SoCal about 10 miles from the beach too. Yes, you probably have crabgrass as I do. I've been unhappy with my 'lawnguy' for the past couple of years so fired him and have been bringing my lawn back to life. Didn't know much about lawns but consulted a few friends and researched types and care.

Crabgrass will grow when the turf is thin or mowing too low during the spring and summer. You can keep it out by using a weed and feed. What this does is it gets the grass to grow so much and fast it crowds out the crabgrass and other weeds.

You probably have a bermuda hybrid. That is 1 of about 3 different types I have going on in my lawn :shock: and am working to get it flourishing. The light you have in your yard seems fine for this type. Since I'm new with lawn care cannot recommend how to start new; maybe you don't have to. 8) My lawn had bare spots and lots of weeds but it is making a come back with some 'weed and feed' types of lawn food (25-0-2); and frequent (lots and lots) of watering. Maybe post some pics? Doing it now in the spring is the best since it's not hot yet.

Keep us posted. :wink:

reptile dude007

Thanks guys!

I finally found out what it is. It is saint Bernard grass. grows wild back there. Just need extra water.

Return to “Lawn Care”