newshoot3

Dog pee fertilizer?

I need help quick! My lawn is quickly turning into a polka-dotted lawn thanks to my Lab's "watering". What is it about her urine that makes the greenest, moisest, lushest grass I've ever seen? I'd love to bottle it and spread it around, but since that's gross and impossible, I'm hoping some lawn genius in this forum can let me know if there is a proper lawn fertilizer that would achieve the same effect. :D Thanks for the help!

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Generally, female dogs urine is the cause of yellow spots in lawn; and the cure is tomato juice fed to the dog so I don't know...? :?

Let her keep on watering! :lol:

newshoot3

well, if she goes in the same spot too many times, it does turn yellow...but we try to spread her around so that doesn't happen. Now, we're not sure what's worse! :lol: So tell me about this tomato juice solution...maybe that will stop the effects she's having all together! I'd rather personally fertilize my entire yard instead of having this polka-dot situation.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

My friend's female dog was causing yellow spots so she used 1T of tomato juice in the dog's food with good results - no more yellow spots in the grass. I couldn't remember the exact reasons and measurements so was researching on the net and found mixed reviews about this anecdote.

Apparently, it's the high nitrogen content in the urine which causes yellow spots but both male and female dogs can cause yellow spots; it just more like to be caused by a female dog due to squating and producing a higher concentration in one spot. Whereas, male dogs tend to urinate in smaller quantities over different areas and of course on upright objects. Anyway, you may want to consult with your Vet. My male Rottweiler doesn't leave any spots. One article stated that high protein diets cause a higher % of nitrogen in the urea. But lawns like nitrogen so you think it would make it greener. I guess it's just too much in one spot. :?

newshoot3

That sounds exactly right! When she pees in a spot 1 time, it's the best grass I've ever seen. If she goes in the same spot all the time, it all dies. How big was your friend's dog? I'm going to try the tomato juice thing and I have a 70 lb lab. Just wondering if you think "dosing" would be different?

Thank you so much for your help! Me and my neighbors who have to look at this mess appreciate you! :-)

applestar
Mod

If it's the acid in the tomato juice that provides this effect, you might want to look into Apple Cider Vinegar. It's supposed to have many beneficial health effects. https://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/acvfordogs.html
Don't know about tomato juice.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

No idea about the "P" but...my 105-lb Bernese Mtn Dog LOVES fresh tomatoes. There may be no trouble at all getting the doggie to *eat* tomatoes or accept tomato juice in her food.

Vergil was particularly attentive when I harvested our Romas last October and November. He would wait very politely (in his trademarked begging position--SIT) and eat, very nicely, any tomatoes I gave him.

He was heartbroken on December 21, when the tomato vine had died back all the way and there were no more tomatoes. He kept going over to that spot in the SFG (and still does...) hoping for tomatoes.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

sepeters

I used to have a florica out front where it is nice and cool and shady. Every morning my dachshund would pee on it as the beginning of his walk. The little tree like plants were very leafy and bright pink and healthy and in over a year I never fertilized it even once. I just thought it liked poor soil and didn't need fertilizer, but once I brought it inside as it got colder the plant started to look bad and died within two months. Only then did I realize my dog had been fertilizing the plant and it had probably needed transplanting pretty badly for some time!

Return to “Lawn Care”