thdizzy
Newly Registered

Bald Patches

New here and what a great forum!

I have a little over an acre of lawn and 75% of it is fine. However, in a few areas (10x10 feet) there are several bald patches (average size is 4" wide and 8" long") where the grass just doesn't grow.

I checked for bugs and there were none. When digging up the soil it was not dense at all. Some patches interconnect but most don't.

Last year I tried seeding the patches but they didn't take. However, all I did was throw down some seed without 'planting' it or laying and soil/straw over the area. Maybe that was my problem????

Any ideas and what might be the cause?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Bestlawn
Cool Member

Was there ever an oil spill or anything like that? You don't say how far you dug, but you might need to dig farther to see what is under there.

You can have the soil tested at your local [url=https://www.extension.uidaho.edu/find.asp]Idaho Extension Service[/url]

thdizzy
Newly Registered

Bestlawn wrote:Was there ever an oil spill or anything like that? You don't say how far you dug, but you might need to dig farther to see what is under there.

You can have the soil tested at your local [url=https://www.extension.uidaho.edu/find.asp]Idaho Extension Service[/url]
I dug about 6" deep in 3-4 bald patches. Thanks for the link BestLawn!

And no oil/gas spills.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

If the soil is not dense in the bald spots then it may have too much organic material so it dryes out in hot weather and the grass dies. I have a place on one side of a tree in my front yard that has had no grass for many years. A few years ago I took a close look at the soil it is basically 6 inches of decayed leaves with no dirt. I can plant grass in the spring or fall and it grows fine but July when it gets hot the grass dies. I shoveled the leaves out and replaced them with dirt now I have grass.

Return to “Lawn Care”