Rob Millar

LAID TURF A LITTLE LATE, NOW IS A BIT YELLOW. WILL IT BE OK?

I left the turf, after delivery, three nights rolled up but I had watered them (I know this was stupid- my bad). I have laid them now and the spring weather in the South East of England has been a mix of Sun and Rain, plus I have watered them and laid them on some good topsoil.

There is still some yellow on them, but they are greening up ok.

My question is will they get settled properly? Maybe they will settle once there is enough grass to mow?

Many thanks guys.

Rob

Bestlawn
Cool Member

Not really sure what you mean by get settled, but I kinda think 3 days is a little long. But you already know that. Good you kept it watered though.

What you want is for the roots to grow into the soil. If portions died out, the roots likely won't continue growing but don't lose hope. Just keep it moist, not wet. You said something that has me a little concerned, in that you irrigated and it also rained. So, I'm hoping that wasn't too much water.

Here is irrigation schedule for your new lawn. If you have been watering more than this already, then gradually decrease the amount of water until you get down to match this schedule.

water 15-20 minutes twice a day for two weeks
water 20-30 minutes once a day for one week
water 30-45 minutes once a day every other day for one week
water 30-45 minutes once a day twice a week for one week
move into deep irrigation, increasing the time to provide 1 inch of water all over and decreasing the frequency to just once a week.

Starting off, the schedule supplies roughly 1/4 inch of water, then increases that amount while decreasing frequency of application at the same time. Like practically everything that concerns lawn care, this schedule is a general guideline and should be modified to accommodate your specific conditions. The lengths of time should be modified if you have an automatic sprinkler system since that will not take as long to provide adequate moisture. So, decrease amount of water (time) but maintain frequency as is. The tuna cans test is recommended. Your objective is to keep the upper 1 inch of soil moist and not let the sod dry out.

Rob Millar

You truly are the Lawn Don!

There fine really, just a rookie mistake (a stupid rookie mistake- I should know better).

The best are 80-90% green, and the absolute worst maybe 65% green. I told the customer, who asked if they should get some feed, to only get something to aid root growth.

I wont water them any more now then until the sun comes out and the ground gets a little drier.

Thanks for the advice

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Don't rush that first mowing; cool season turf grass photosynthesizes and puts on root mass better at a longer cut than a short one...

BL's long term irrigation plan is exactly right, and exactly opposite of how I see a lot of people using irrigation out there. Ten or fifteen minutes every morning builds shallow, drought prone root systems that will curl up at the first watering restriction. Much better to give them the long drink once a week, and wet the most possible root profile, making roots stretch.

HG
Scott Reil

Rob Millar

Yeah I told them to not cut it for a couple of weeks after, then cut it high and work down. Its already greening up alot better, and has put on some good growth.

As for the water, I gave them a damn good drink, and its a little wet and moist out here now and theres more on the way. I will play it by ear, which isnt text book I know, but everything will work it self out im sure. This aint Scotsdale!

Many thanks for the input both you. I have taken it all on board and am greteful for the advice

Return to “Lawn Care”