Zofiava

Ripping up 100+ year old bricks

We began ripping up the bricks from the section of our yard that used to be a road (as recently as 9 months ago). The bricks are over 100 years old, and have been there as long.

I'm concerned about the soil underneath. I plan on testing it, but I really don't know what, if any, special things I will have to do to the soil (besides tilling it and such) to prepare it for grass.

Its not as compacted as one would think, my dog was able to easily dig in it...

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Bestlawn
Cool Member

I'm afraid your doggy is no indicator because you don't know exactly how they use force, horsepower, etc. Frankly, even if you were the one digging in such a manner, that would not be a good indicator either.

One way to test is to use something like a screwdriver. Push it into the soil and see how deep it goes without hard pressure. You should be able to drive it 4-6 inches with no problem.

If it used to be a road, I can assure you it is compacted. The thing is, compaction happens almost yearly, even without traffic. That's without foot traffic or ball players on the lawn, much less a bunch of cars that weigh a ton for the past 60 or 70 years.

To relieve compacted soil, you will either core aerate or cheat with a liquid aeration product. There is also another way of using a soaker hose that will take some time, probably a couple weeks. Let me know if you want details on any of these methods. I wouldn't suggest you till though.

The soil test will reveal everything pretty much as far as necessary nutrients, pH balance, organic matter, and soil structure. In addition to having to provide those - fertilizer, sulfur/lime, compost (or other organic source) - to improve the soil structure the soil test should let you know the balance of components like sand, clay, and silt. Other than those, you just need to water properly.

Zofiava

Thank you so much for your reply!

We had a hard rain the other day, and it washed away the dirt layer and revealed smooth rocks and sand. I'm guessing they laid that down before they set the bricks in.

It's snowing now :shock: so I guess I am going to have to wait a couple of days before I can get this all figured out. I am afraid a lawn may not be possible!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

You are better of doing the lawn in fall when it can establish without heat or weed pressures. I would probably just lay a layer of topsoil and compost, and if I had to have lawn now, roll sod out (instant lawn), but I'd do it now to get roots before summer hits. It will need watering all this year that way...

By seed I would do it in fall, probably with a tall turf type fescue. Same layer of compost and soil, and I would have it blown in (sometimes called terra-seeding) with more compost. By the following spring you have an established lawn ready for the rigors of the coming year...

HG

Zofiava

Thanks so much!!!!!!!! I am not desperate for a lawn right this second so I'll take my time and do it in the fall, thanks!

Return to “Lawn Care”