loyalgirl1111
Newly Registered

growing grass in clay

I recently bought my first home and know nothing about getting grass to grow. The property is new construction and my yard is all red clay and slopes. To top that off it is all sun. (Located in NC.)
Last fall I planted fescu and it came up here and there, due to the slope much of it washed away. (Even slit seeded.) Recently I have had a few people tell me bermuda grass would be my best option.
I have done some research an bermuda grass looks like weeds to me. Mainly one shoot with sprigs off of that.
Is bermuda truly a good grass? Is there a better brand bermuda than another?
Is there a better option all together?
Please help! :?

Bestlawn
Cool Member

Yes, there are various bred varieties of bermuda, and many people consider them fantastic. But I really expect the tall fescue will serve your purpose. The difference between them is bermuda is warm season type for the transition zone and southern area parts of the country. Tall fescue is cool season type for the transition zone and some northern areas of the country, and it is suitable for North Carolina. It tolerates heat quite well, but the whole point in there being a difference between them is the warm season types tolerate heat even better and require less irrigation. Many people in NC have a tall fescue lawn though.

From your description, I don't see what the type of grass has to do with anything. It sounds like you would have problems with whatever grass you plant. Besides that, you could never manage both bermuda and tall fescue because they require different maintenance regimes. You would have to get rid of the tall fescue in order to plant bermuda. No point in that, at least not until you give the fescue a chance.

Your complaint is about losing your plantings in the sloped areas, right? Any seeds will do the same in heavy rains. Look for a net/mesh/mat to stabilize the seeds. Find a natural, biodegradable one so you won't have to bother removing it later. Ask at your nearest garden center or big box store. They will have something, or you can purchase them on the internet.

Once the grass is in place and begins to take root, it will serve to bind the soil and prevent erosion on the slopes. Speaking of the slopes, I think it would be a good idea to level them if you can. Because I don't know the layout of your landscape, I cannot be sure it is possible or where the slopes are located, but someone with a box blade can level it perfectly for you if it can be done.

About that red clay soil, check with the local [url=https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/index.php?page=countycenters]NC State University Extension Service[/url] in your county for help with amending the soil. Also, inquire of a [url=https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/cumberland/hort/soil_test.shtml]soil test[/url] so they know what you are working with.

For help with caring for your cool season grass, please heed my suggestions in [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12796]this thread[/url].

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what type of grass you have. You are in North Carolina and you mentioned fescue. My semi-trained assumption immediately directed me to tall fescue, but is it? Or, is it fine fescue. Gosh, I hope not. LOL

Just an FYI, full sun is a good thing. Bermuda, particularly, does not tolerate shade and tall fescue tolerates moderate shade. Growing grass in full sun is so much easier where both your options and maintenance are concerned.

loyalgirl1111
Newly Registered

thank you so much for taking the time to help me! In all honesty I do not know if I have tall or fine fescue. I tried my own hand at it and ended up with weeds. Hired truGreen to slit seed, but not sure what they used.

Yes you are also right about the erosion from the slope. I just purchased some Crepe Mrtyles, knock out roses,and some ground cover, and once these are planted I will have the entire area mulched. Hoping that will help my run off.
Good suggestion to contact NC State and als ahve the clay tested.
Sound like you know a few things about grass. I will take you advice and stick with the fescue!

Return to “Lawn Care”