Amzy84

Turf Issues!

I moved into a new house a few weeks ago.

Its a brand new house and obviously recently a building site.

We have a back garden with squares of turf.

It looks fine but when you walk on it you sink right in, its getting very uneven and I'm not sure what I can do?

Is it like this to start with or has it been put down wrong or what?

If anyone has seen my other posts you will know I have no idea about gardening!

I'm happy to answer any questions, I don't know what other information to give you but please ask if you think you might have some advice!

Bestlawn
Cool Member

New building sites are often the worst LOL. That's because the builders use the surrounding grounds to bury everything, including rocks, glass, wood, discarded construction parts, etc. There's no telling what you have under there and also no reason to expect particular care was taken in 1) selecting the soil types, 2) layering/sloping/leveling the zones of soil, and 3) the soil structure and composition. The resulting condition of the soil is usually not ideal. (Something else they often do is use a contractor's mix for the grass because it's cheap, but it won't return after the first season since most of it is annual ryegrass. So don't be surprised if no lawn grows in next year.)

Density is achieved through horizontal layering of various soil types from the upper horizon (top soil) on down to bedrock earth before the water table. These various zones all serve a different purpose, but your primary concern would be the upper 3 or 4 feet, which is where density is controllable and soil types are obtainable.

To make it sustainable and able to support life, being grass and other plants, the soil should be firm, yet friable enough to allow roots to grow and both absorb and release air, moisture, and nutrients. That is where soil structure is important, in that the top soil or upper surface layer should be composed of a mixture of sand, silt, clay, and organic matter. It is likely there in Scotland your soil also has a high peat content.

You probably want to consult with a nearby garden center to help you determine exactly what is proper for the first couple of upper zones. They can tell you the volume and depth of the top soil and immediate subsoil layers that are common to your area. You just might have to do a little digging.

Return to “Lawn Care”