meadowlinks77

Does anyone know about AMAZOY Zoysia Grass?

My lawn is very weedy and in need of repair.

I got an add in the mail for Zoysia Grass. It looks really good in the photos. It says that you buy plugs and you put it in your lawn and it will grow and fill in. It is drought proof, heat proof, chokes out crabgrass, wear resistant, never ending supply of plug transplants, winter hardy to 30 degrees below 0, grows in terrible soil, and thrives in part shade to full sun. I am skeptical about it because it sounds to good to be true.
Any information or experience with this type of grass? Thanks!

Skeptical from WV zone 6
meadowlinks77

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I just Googled "Zoysia grass." The first three sites (very lawn oriented, positive about turfgrasses) had several cautions about whether zoysia is a good choice for your location.

The fourth seems to be pushing the "Amazoy" Zoysia grass, also known as Meyer 52. Keep this "Meyer" name in mind while reading other turfgrass sites, the ones that are NOT trying to push a product on you.

It may not work for you: do you have shade? severe winter cold? other plants in the hoped-for area already? do you plan to "clear the runway" before you plant the zoysia? how soon do you want the zoysia to fill in? etc. One of these sites also mentioned the words "invasive" and "rhizome."

Remember: the mail-order/Internet merchant doesn't care at all about whether the product is suitable for you. The merchant ONLY wants your $$$.

Caveat emptor.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

meadowlinks77

Thanks Cynitha,
OMGosh! I just went to this site:
https://www.allaboutlawns.com/grass-types/some-thoughts-on-zoysia-grass.php I will pass on the zoysia grass. I kne ... dowlinks77

Return to “Lawn Care”