Halloween Jack
Newly Registered

anything I can do to level my lawn?

hi there,

I have a pretty bumpy lawn. the grass is quite healthy now but the bumps annoy me. the biggest problem is the mowing is really hard work and can carve up sections of turf. also I have to leave the grass quite long because of this.

so is it possible to straighten it out and remove bumps and troughs? I live in a terrace house so anything needs to come through the house. also I don't drive so heavy equipment may be a problem. however there are 2 tool rental companies 10 min walk away.

thanks.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Lawns sometimes get lumpy as they age. It has happened to mine, anyway. I have been told that the only way to correct it is to tear it out an put in a new lawn. Maybe the landscapers I spoke with are wrong, though. :?:

milifestyle

Cut it really short (this may scalp the high patches) a little.

Then top dress with a good lawn sand mixed with vermicast and chicken manure.

You can buy commercially produced lawn levelling tools but I prefer to bolt a 1 metre 4x1 board to the tines on my rake and pull small amounts of sand across the lawn. The sand will fill the hollow patches and your lawn will level.

You may have to do it a couple of times. Early Autumn & Early Spring is a good time.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Top dressing as Eric said is the easiest way but did I read correctly that you'll have to bring all materials [dirt] through your house? When I leveled a small putting area, I used a 2x4x8 as a screed and that worked well. You work it kind of like they work a concrete pad when it's being poured.

Halloween Jack
Newly Registered

thankyou for your answers.

doesn't sound too bad a job. I thought it would be something to do with a tamper (is that what they're called?). I'll look into getting that sand delivered.

I guess the 'sand' looks like or turns into soil?

so do you think I can do it in a day for a 5m x 13m stretch of lawn?

I don't have much spare time so I might have to get someone in to do it. which would be ironic as the reason it's so lumpy in the first place is that I leveled and layed the lawn in the first place!

and I guess this is a good time of year to do it?

cheers

milifestyle

I could do that size in about half a day. But I do it all the time. If you haven't done it before you should be able to knock it over in a weekend.

Now is a good time to do it in most parts of the world :) Spring / Autumn

Return to “Lawn Care”