Janinec
Newly Registered

I am about to move and the house I am moving they have paved over the back garden. Will I be better re-seeding or get turfing :!:
When will be the best time to do this. I have never had to do a lawn before.

Cheers Janine

dinker

Welcome Janine :D
what area do you live? In Ks the best time is spring and fall.
thats when we get most of are rain and the temp is cool.
I know nothing about turf you only see seed in this area

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

Don't know much about turf except that I've heard it's very high maintenance. Here in the St. Louis MO area I see mostly seed. For us it's best to do during early to mid fall. This give the seed time to start growing and get root before getting to cold. Then when spring comes around it continues growing. I tried to start a patch in spring before and even though it was a fairly wet spring I had to keep it watered over the hot dry summer so it would stay alive. I'm planning on airating my lawn this fall and seeding over it to thicken up my law to keep some of the crab grass out next year. O and that's another thing fall seeding gives the grass a chance to grow with out competition from weeds.

Janinec
Newly Registered

I am in the uk so I will be very different to where you are.
Thank you for your help and speedy reply.

Thanks Janine :)

milifestyle

This would often depend on what you plan doing on the lawn and how often... Kids playing would require a different grass and approach than just a weekend BBQ.

It would also depend when you need to use it. If you will need a quick fix for immediate use then turf would be your best option. If you can wait (and want to pull seeds out as it grows - [good option]) then seed would be the best option.

Ultimately, the surface is not as important asd the preperation you give the base before laying turf or sowing seed.

Return to “Lawn Care”