wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Reel mower questions

Not sure if it should go here or some other chapter, but, I picked up a decent reel mower from freecycle today. Gave a couple of swaths on the lawn and it seems to be working properly. However, it's my first one ever and it did not come with an owner's manual. Sooo, how do I:
adjust the height?
clean it?
oil or otherwise maintain it?
besides keeping it sharp and dry. I'm ok mechanically, but I'd rather not break it on my first try. I don't even know what brand it is, but it weighs about 20 lbs.

Hewp?

dinker

you are talking about the kind without a motor?
If it is I know the one we had when I was a kid didnt have a height adjustment after mowing my older brother would set it in the sun to dry then he would wipe it off with a dry rag spray wd40 on it when it needed he would use a file to sharpen it

dinker

https://www.reelmowerguide.com/ maybe this website will help

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Well, it looks similar, but no colour to it, nor does it have a grass catcher in the back. Will have to take a better look at it. Either that or all the paint has worn off? Got so excited that it worked I didn't pay much attention to it--go figure. :oops:

dinker

many times I wished I still had our old one.This year I have seen a lot of people using them.The one's I have talked to said the cost of the mower is all they will have they wont have to buy gas every week or oil or replacement part's every spring.With the prices of everything I think people are getting back to the basics. I think that is why I have seen so many first time gardeners this year

Return to “Lawn Care”