dhall85
Newly Registered

Grass Patch

Alright, I have a question that is two fold.

1) All of the sudden lately I have begin to notice quite a few pet spots(I believe) around the edges of my yard. I know they are not from my pets because my pets never leave the back yard. These spots are completely;y dead and it does not look like there is any chance for recovery, so I am going to probably be reseeding these areas... So my first question is how do I keep stray cats and such off my yard?A few days ago I saw a cat running out of my yard.

2) Secondly, I recently purchased some "Grass Patch" from OSH Hardware store. I cleared a couple of areas to see how it works, I removed all dead grass and softened the soil. It has been about 10 days now and I am seeing very little progress....

The product is by a company called "Safer Products." It is called Magic Start Grass Patch. It is a combination of seed, mulch, and fertilizer...Is this a solid product? Or is there a more efficient way to patch these spots...Because like I said it has been 10 days, and I thought I would see something by now...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I avoid grass patch because it tends to run wild and take over. If you've generally kept the new stuff damp and it's getting sunshine, then I'd look to your soil and try again. I've had a few problem spots that I covered in a thin layer of topsoil [1 to 2 inches, seeded then tossed a quarter inch more topsoil on top of the seeds. Then I put wheat straw down and kept it damp 24 hours a day for about 10 days. Poof, there's grass.

Is it a sunny or shady area?

Cat's don't like super soakers. :twisted: Personally, I will fuss at neighbors who are irresponsible enough to let any pet roam. As much as I dislike cats, they don't deserve to be subjected to the things that happen to them running loose. I'm for dogs.

dhall85
Newly Registered

Its a sunny area...

So you think I should re-soften the soil and check it or something???

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Most grass patch products will grow on a wet brick. If your's didn't, there is probably something bad in the soil. If it's not a big area, you can probably put down some topsoil and try again as I described above. You can buy topsoil at the big box places in bags. I buy it by the pickup load because there's a landscape joint a mile away and I enjoy abusing my truck. If you do as I'm suggesting, just use the same grass you have in your yard. Avoid rass patch products if you can.

dhall85
Newly Registered

So just do a little topsoil and then lay down the seeds for my kind of grass??? Sorry I am really new at all of this

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Personally, I doubt cats are causing the lawn problem. Cats don't usually 'go' in grassy areas. Their instinct is to bury their feces and urine, so they prefer loose soil, sand, or mulch. JMO. :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Is there any possibility that this is a soil fungus?

I also think that Sunset recommends planting grass in California in October, but I'm not sure. I've never had a grass lawn, so the information didn't stick in my mind.

Good luck, whatever the cause.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Return to “Lawn Care”