jefff
Newly Registered

Companion planting with fruit trees

hello,

I have a number of fruit trees (apple, plum, quince, peach, cherry) and I am looking for some tips on which edible and medicinal plants to surround them with. I have purchased some comfrey root to plant too. thanks in advance! :D

jefff

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Oooh, I just LOVE quince! My MIL used to have a small quince tree, but it finally died of old age in the '90s. Until then, I made the BEST quince jelly every fall and gave it as holiday gifts in December.

Quince is an under-rated fruit (IMNSHO) these days, but it is really a beautiful tree with beautiful flowers and fabulously aromatic fruit.

What region of the country are you in? Do these five fruits all require chill hours during the winter, or are they OK with temps above freezing?

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

jefff
Newly Registered

I am in zone 8.

applestar
Mod

Let me preface by saying I haven't any practical experience. But I just finished reading Gaia's Garden and the recommendation therein is to create a "guild" by surrounding an apple tree with daffodils and garlic around the trunk and then a big circle at the drip line (keeps out grass, it said). Then plant nitrogen fixers, aromatics, and mulch builders inside the big circle. I seem to remember comfrey and artichoke (if a std) for mulch builders (cut and use as mulch). Can't remember the specifics for the others -- clover? vetch? fennel? dill? I remember they should attract beneficial insects though. I'll have to go back and read it again.

I'm sure there are others here who can speak from actual practice. :oops:

Return to “Permaculture Forum”