applestar
Mod

Edible Garden

Following a recommendation here, I borrowed the Gaia's Garden via inter-library loan, started reading it, and got all excited :D

First of all, the key-hole design gave me the solution to a problem I've always had -- how to tend the plants that are too far to reach from the outside edge. I always disliked making an obvious step into the garden from the front, breaking up the design. Now I'm incorporating the keyhole as either part of the design or by creating a "backdoor" -- I.e. a path from the side or back of the bed so that the front row remains intact.

I also love the idea of creating an edible garden. I'd already started the raised bed veggie garden as well as the sunflower/corn house and fence row and a sunny meadow-to-be planted with pumpkins and scarlet runner beans to fill in the empty spaces. Part of my veggie garden is planted with Three Sister corn/pumpkin/bean bed and corn/cuke/sunflower/dill bed. So as you can see, the ideas of permaculture and the book recommendation was perfect for where I was going with my garden this year.

Reading the book made me re-think about two plants in my garden that have been left to fend for themselves -- ostrich fern and wild blackberries.

I planted the ostrich fern years ago along the NE side of the house. It's a neglected area, sometimes drying out and not entirely ideal, but the ostrich fern has hung on, so that they haven't exactly prospered but neither have they died off. There never was enough really to harvest the spring shoots though. So now, I'm moving them to the shady area under the trees along the back fence. The ones I've already moved are looking much happier. Hopefully they'll take off and will provide some tasty side-dishes next spring. :wink:

There is a corner area created by the back of the garage and side of the family room that is being taken over by wild blackberries. This is another neglected area that I'm reluctant to do anything major with because it's the logical part of the house to be remodeled to expand the family room. Right now, there are some native daylilies along the wall and a native azalea in the corner where the AC drain comes out and the blooms waft intoxicating fragrance into the family room window. My kids love the blackberries, but I've tended to systematically chop them at the base because the thorns are deadly! :? But now, I'm inspired to take care of the brambles properly -- maybe Gaia - Mother Earth - has been making a suggestion to grow them here 8) so I'll be putting up a T-trellis to encourage them to grow in a more orderly fashion, and pruning them into shape. :wink:

My Edible Garden so far:
The dwarf apple tree has little apples reddening, blueberries are all green but are starting to show hints of color so I just put up the birdnet (8' bamboo poles topped by 2L soda bottles make great supports BTW). The birds are FEASTING on the mulberries, and no doubt will be moving on to the hawthorn. Kids and I are picking wild strawberries from the patch that provides ground cover for the Japanese Maple island bed in the front yard. The plums are going through their "June drop" but here are PLENTY of still-green fruits on the tree. The elderberry growing next to the mulberry has had some kind of a set back and is mostly growing new shoots -- not as big as before, and no flowers so far, but little suckers are trying to take over the yard so I'll have plenty to relocate as I work on my GRAND DESIGN. :lol:

I'm planning a "desert scape" garden where I'll be moving a Yucca from a shady area under a crabapple tree (it used to be sunny there until the crabapple moved in), and my mom is going to give me some of her prickly cactus. I'll plant some achillea there along with lavender and other drought tolerant herbs. It'll also be the perfect place to put the hen-and-chicks that are overflowing from their pot. I plan to design this in a spiral bed edged with sandstone.

Other plants I'm considering are: paw paw, NJ tea, bayberry, bamboo (this one's tricky -- but I'd love to be able to harvest the shoots!), some kind of a nut tree... a native would be a hazelnut but that's another one that suckers and takes over. I don't have THAT much room -- though I sure wish I did. :roll:

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I recently picked up this book too but haven't had the chance to get to it. I'm backed up by about 4 currently. Reading the above makes me want to move it up in my stack!

The American Hazelnut should be fine where you garden. Pawpaw is an excellent choice and it's a fruit rarely seen in grocery stores. You might want to check into a Diospyros virginiana (Persimmon) as another native tree possibility.

Don't quite know what to say about the bamboo. Are you able to be more specific? Can you share which bamboo it is that interests you?

applestar
Mod

Well according to [url]https://www.bamboos.com/Bamboos%20for%20Eating.html[/url]
Best bamboos for eating:
Bambusa edulis
Bambusa oldhamii
Phyllostachys dulcis
Phyllostachys heterocycla pubescens
Phyllostachys nidularia
Phyllostachys nuda
Phyllostachys rubromarginata
On the other hand, there is a stand of bamboo nearby that I could get a free division from (assuming I can dig one myself...) I don't know what kind it is though. It *might* be P. rubromarginata -- that one's a little scary. According to the faq page of the same website ([url]https://www.bamboos.com/FAQ.html[/url])
The method I favor requires that you dig a ditch 12" deep and about 4" wide, wide enough to get a tool in where you want to establish the boundary for the bamboo. The purpose of the ditch is to find the rhizomes as they grow out from the grove. In order for the bamboo to spread the rhizome will have to cross the ditch. When you find one crossing the ditch cut it and if it has crossed completely pull up the rhizome on the far side of the ditch. This is an effective containment method. It works if you do it each year. The rhizomes grow in the late summer and early fall. So attend to this maintenance late each growing season. It is not necessary to keep an open ditch - you can fill it with mulch
This *sounds* do-able... doesn't it?

I've been playing with the edible forest design -- trouble is, the way the house is situated, the BEST place to put the tallest trees are in the front yard.... :roll:

BTW - my veggie garden now:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image998.jpg[/img] [img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image996.jpg[/img]
The "Three Sisters" are traditional Corn, Pumpkins, and beans (scarlet runner just coming up, also soybeans) with 4th sister of dill and parsley (and nasturtium for 5th sister? as well as lettuce and radish in the front -- well actually it's the back -- we're facing South-East. I'm hoping to keep lettuce going in the shade of the corn until the pumpkin takes over the space.)
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image999.jpg[/img]
and Corn, Cucumbers, and Sunflowers with dill. The corn is supposed to keep the sunflowers from falling over.
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image1000.jpg[/img]

Corn was planted on 5/14 so it's been almost a month. I might be planting a little too close. It's a new bed after all -- didn't dig the lawn under it at all -- basically just framed, put down cardboard on top of unmown grass, and filled with homemade compost, bagged topsoil, and bagged product called "Organic Bumper Crop", etc. They've been given side-dressings of coffee grounds. I was concerned that they'd stop growing when they hit the cardboard, but so far, they seem to be doing fine and there are tons of earthworms under there, doing their job. :wink:

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Oh my, your garden has really taken off.

My tomatoes are doing well in their 5-gallon buckets but not nearly as well as what you photographed. Good job!

I have mixed emotions about bamboo. Makes me nervous. Don't believe digging a ditch 12" deep and about 4" wide is enough to contain many bamboos.

Return to “Permaculture Forum”