DAnderson

Hay mulch in the garden

Has anyone used hay as mulch in a vegetable garden? I was thinking Coastal hay might not have as many seeds & would be easy to put down around the plants & in the walkways. I tried one bale in the garden last spring, but I'm thinking about covering the whole garden with it next year.

Also, my husband feeds the cattle with the big round bales of hay. When he puts out new bales, he moves to a new spot in the pasture, instead of putting the new bale on top of the leftovers from the old bale. I've noticed the old hay breaks down and leaves some really neat soil where the old hay was left. I've put some of this soil on the garden, but wanted to find out if anyone has had any problems with this. He feeds 6 large bales per week all winter, so I have lots of these "dirt spots" and want to use them!

SquashNUt

Any left over hay that has the manure from you rnimals needs to be piled and composted or apploed in the fall and dug or tilled in. The manure could burn your plants if not composyed.
I use hay and straw in my garden when I can get it. Your very lucky to have so much in the way of organic material for your garden.
Good luck.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

My concern would be seed; if your straw is clean that would work great...

Salt marsh hay is the best; expensive but NO weed issue...

HG

DAnderson

Thanks for the replies...
Squashnut, the manure is already composted. I'm getting it out of the barns and it's already a dry powder. Just don't want to be downwind of it while you're loading it! We put a trailer load of it on the garden last year (brand new garden spot) and tilled it in. I can tell it's made a real difference in the soil. We have a clay soil here.
HG, I bought coastal bermuda just for the garden this year & haven't noticed any new hay sprouting yet. We feed the cows sudan & I know that has seeds, so avoid putting that on the garden, even though it's alot cheaper. Coastal is planted using sprigs, so I'm assuming I won't have the seed problem I would have with sudan. I've never heard of salt marsh hay, but will check around to see if it's available here. Thanks!

SquashNUt

We have clay soil here too. So I don't pass up any organic amterial. Even the hay with a lot of seeds could be put through a hot compost pile and used as compost. At leaste by nezt year. You need a way to get rid of you horses dropped food anyway.
I am having trouble with my mulch this year, I may have to rake it off my gaaarden. The slugs have infested it so bad.
I put wood ash along the edges of it last night in an effort to keep it on the garden. I see dead ones all over this morning so I may have fixed the problem. I know all of the northern states are having problems with this this year. Anxd Oregon has the problem all the time. I would ask around before I mulch too heavily to see if anyone else has this problem in your area.

DAnderson

Wood ashes, what a good idea! I've got a pile left from last winter. Now I know what to do with them. Thanks!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Putting woodashes on your lilacs will make them bloom as well. :wink:
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

DAnderson

grandpasrose wrote:Putting woodashes on your lilacs will make them bloom as well. :wink:
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)
Val, I don't have any Lilacs......yet. But now that I know what will make them bloom, I may need to get some! My husband & I call ourselves "blooming idiots" because we think we have to have at least 2 of everything that blooms. Lilacs are now on the shopping list. Thanks for the tip!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

No Problem! If you have room for two of everything why not?
There are some beautiful varieties of lilacs available. I have several myself. They range in colors from white, rose, bi-color, deep red,all the way to dark purple. They also come in different sizes and growing styles - small, large; tree, shrub; etc. You have lots of choices!
AND they smell incredible! :wink:
You may also want to check out the Lilacs Forum as well.
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

Return to “Permaculture Forum”