rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

foraging the back yard

So we have the self sufficiency thread going, oddly enough in the Canning/Preserving/Recipes section. Perhaps we need a homesteading section? Or perhaps that fits well enough here? Anyway it has been touching on some of this, but I thought it would be nice to pull it together here.

What are we eating out of our yards, other than crops? Lately I have been foraging chickweed and purple dead nettle. (Used along with the baby greens and parsley that are in my garden, they really make a nice addition to salads, giving them a very fresh, lively taste.) I was out looking around today and noted leaves on the strawberry plants. I checked and they are edible (if fresh and not decaying). So I tried eating one. It tasted like nothing (not bad, just nothing) and was tough. But these are last year's leaves that have been hanging around for many months. I will try it again in spring when there are fresh leaves.

Lots more "lawn greens" will be coming soon: wild violets and dandelions, plantain, purslane, lambsquarters. The creeping charlie will soon be back and taking over lawns, but it also turns out to be edible and medicinal. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant- ... edible.htm The leaves of the blueberry and raspberry plants are also edible, though mostly used in herbal teas. All the fruit tree leaves are also used in teas: apple, peach, apricot. In most cases if the fruit of a tree is edible, so are the blossoms and leaves.

As I find out more about all the common lawn weeds that are edible, I am thinking maybe I should just go graze my lawn!! :)

A number of my herb plants still have leaves on them, including especially mint and lemon balm.

I think if you know how to use the common weeds and wild edibles, you would never have to starve, though by themselves, they would be pretty low in protein.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a nice article - ten invasive plant species (weeds) that are not only edible, but very good. And it gives suggestions of how to use/ prepare them:

https://returntonow.net/2018/05/22/10-d ... 6xY2KB4G5g

Some are well known like dandelion, chickweed, wild garlic. Others I never heard of or thought about.

And of course they left out a lot of the best ones, like lambs quarters, purslane, wild violets, etc. Still a nice article though.

Return to “Permaculture Forum”