TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Somewhat in line with permaculture... Freecycle

Probably more in line with sustainable alternatives than permaculture however I came across this article on Freecycle-
https://green.yahoo.com/blog/greenpicks/149/the-thrill-of-shopping-without-the-bill.html

Lots of people in my area have joined a local Freecycle to see what they can pick up and get rid of. I keep meaning to register but so far I've been finding it easier to take whole loads to Salvation Army or GoodWill. I'm in an elimination phase of my life and don't know that I'd want to join lest I get in the habit of looking for things because I know I'd stumble upon things that I'd want that I don't need and that defeats the purge process I'm full swing into over here right now.

The article claims there are other re-use groups that are also successful. I have not heard of any other than Freecycle but I'm sure they're out there.

Editing to add my tip for the day regarding energy reduction-
Don't dust. Surfaces become re-usable message boards!

doccat5
Green Thumb

I haven't found much I'm interested in on our local freecycle, but I do monitor it fairly regularly.

I do also use the Craiglist for my area. I've found several things in there that were inexpensive and just what we were looking for.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I really need to stay away from those types of sites right now. I know I'd find "stuff" I want.

MotherNature

I just picked up three lounge lawn chairs last night from Craigslist free. :D They are in pretty good shape too - I am happy.

doccat5
Green Thumb

It's a great way to recycle a lot of things that would otherwise end up in the landfill. You just need to monitor it fairly regular.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

For me, we place anything that is in decent shape that we don't want to haul to a donation center out on the curb the night before garbage day. Our garbage men come like clockwork at around 11am and shortly thereafter for the recyclables. So far, nothing we have ever placed out has not been taken and we've put out everything from bedroom sets to dehumidifiers. Helps if you stick a sign on it that says "still works" if it is an appliance. There are people who regularly drive around on garbage day looking for give-aways.

The set of lawn chairs sounds really nice. I'm convinced the Freecycle deal would get me in trouble and I'd end up with a lot more than just lawn chairs. I know I would find offerings that I would want that I don't really need so I have not registered and probably won't for a long time.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Oh boy do I ever LOVE FreeCycle!

I have gifted others with the following per their WANTED messages on FreeCycle:

--large house plant
--two crock pots
--yarn, needlework supplies
--chess set
--books in German
--misc. novels and non-fiction books
--worm bin (after my worms died...)
--huge box of "Cooking Light" magazines
--duplicate 1st edition of "Laurel's Kitchen" cookbook
--29 boxes of National Geographic magazines (from MIL's house)
--misc. office supplies (folders, pens, pencils, printer paper)
--probably other stuff I can't think of right at the moment

I've also OFFERED things I no longer need but which are of decent/good quality.

I have requested and received some OFFERED stuff, but understand the decluttering state of mind and restrain myself! I primarily request yard/garden supplies when they are offered; I haven't posted any WANTED msgs for such--yet...

I try to pay more attention to the WANTED messages, hoping that someone will need my extras, as an ongoing, low-key method of decluttering.

Cynthia H.
El Cerrito, CA

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I refuse to join no matter how many goodies you flaunt in my face! That site would get me in trouble. I am in an elimination phase of my life and everything you posted sends up big red flags to me. I really need to avoid temptation in favor of continuing to unload.

Hmmm, did you say large house plant??? See, that's how it starts ;)

webmaster
Site Admin

>>>Hmmm, did you say large house plant???

LOL. :lol:

Andrewsmomma
Newly Registered

I love free cycle. I recievec 6 beautiful Lenten Rose plant (among other items). It is good for me who has little money to buy garden plants or landscaping items. Yup love it!

Jess
Greener Thumb

TheLorax wrote:I refuse to join no matter how many goodies you flaunt in my face! That site would get me in trouble. I am in an elimination phase of my life and everything you posted sends up big red flags to me. I really need to avoid temptation in favor of continuing to unload.

Hmmm, did you say large house plant??? See, that's how it starts ;)
Awww go on TheLorax. You know you want to.
I have passed on items the kids no longer wanted. A mini goal went to the son of our local postman. The boy came with his dad to pick it up. He was so excited. Quite beside himself actually. Now tell me do you get the same feeling when you put stuff out on the curb?
My younger son out grew his pedal go-cart. They are making full use of it at a local after school club for children.
An old plastic gazebo saved the day for a group of OAPs. Theirs had been ripped in the gales last year and it would have meant that they could not sit out in the garden this year.
I helped a single mum plant up a shady area of her garden by collecting shade loving bits of plants from my gardens and a couple of plastic pots I no longer used. She came to collect and was thrilled. She also got hold of paving slabs and gravel via FreeCycle.
The last thing I gave was the offsets of my partridge aloe. I had no room for them so a FreeCycler took them for her son who has started a cactus and succulent collection. So much nicer than throwing them away!

As for receiving I have two office chairs my boys use to sit at their desks to do homework. A lovely jewellery hanger unused still in its box and a map book as mine got soaked when I left the window open on my car when it was raining...I love FreeCycle!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I know I want to really bad but I also know I would exercise no restraint and would end up poking around looking for things for free which would clutter this place up while I'm trying to unclutter it! I can't Jess, it took me too long to get to the point where we're not tripping over collections and "stuff". If everybody here would have kept acquiring at the rate we were acquiring without me unloading, we would have had to create aisles to get from one room to the other room.

No, I don't get the warm and fuzzy feelings you experience by sticking stuff out by the curb or dropping them off at Salvation Army or where ever is closest but I do get a lot of chuckles watching what types of people troll the neighborhood on garbage day. There are lots of people who look as if they can really use what we put out which is a good thing because that's why we put it out there. We've even helped people load and one time I actually drove a whole microwave cart over to a person's house because there was no way she could fit it in her car and well... I saw her out there struggling every which way that was humanly possible trying to get it in her car but it was about the equivalent of trying to ram a watermelon into a cantaloupe hole. That was sort of odd delivering that oak microwave cart but I'd really prefer that anything we have no further use for that is in good condition be used by somebody and I don't particularly care who that somebody is. It is not unusual to see well dressed women out there in heels and hose grabbing and it is most obvious they were on their way to work taking a little detour. Then there are the people who are driving very expensive vehicles driving ever so sloooooooowly surveying the curb side goodies trying to act nonchalant while they drive by then back up then drive by then back up then pop their trunks and load then take off like bats out of hell. The funniest ones are the ones who drive small cars who spot something they can't live without that's bigger than they can fit in their car so they stake claim by standing guard next to the item while they use their cell phones to call for someone who has a pickup or van. I've seen other cars drive by and it cracks me up to see the window being rolled down while the driver points at the book case or what ever was stuck out there being guarded by the person who is staking claim to it. I presume the new arrival is asking if the early bird arrival is taking the item or not. I find it amusing. Free entertainment.

I never throw plants away. I always know somebody who wants my leftovers.

NatGreeneVeg

TheLorax wrote:I'm in an elimination phase of my life and don't know that I'd want to join lest I get in the habit of looking for things because I know I'd stumble upon things that I'd want that I don't need and that defeats the purge process I'm full swing into over here right now.

The article claims there are other re-use groups that are also successful. I have not heard of any other than Freecycle but I'm sure they're out there.
If you decided to "look" for things, it just means you can be more selective. Doesn't mean you have to get everything you can just because you can.

There is a free section on craigslist.org. I use both regularly. I have found many useful things, including free grass clippings and free leaves. A gardener can never get enough free organic matter. Free plants, free seeds, free seasonal fruit and nuts, free hardware cloth to create my compost bin, free plant pots, bartering on craigslit for a pergola (now two of them), free cow or horse manure, free straw, the list goes on.

Return to “Permaculture Forum”