TheLorax
Greener Thumb

One Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka

This book was suggested to me as a must read-
https://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture-online/booksust.html

I've found it for sale on Amazon as well as elsewhere but I was given a link to download the entire publication for free. Can't find the link goshdarnitall.

Must go try to track that source down. It was recent so there is hope I will be able to locate the url where I was able to have the whole book on my hard drive for free. And it really was a free download too because there was no gunk on my computer after I downloaded the book and my e-mail address wasn't bombarded. If anyone knows the link, please provide it.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Ohhhhhhhh opabinia51........................

Lookie what I found originally sent to my by my girlfriend-

https://www.soilandhealth.org/copyform.aspx?bookcode=010140.fukuoka

Agree to their declaration by typing in your name and e-mail address then follow their prompts. By doing so, you are basically prohibited from reproducing or sharing your download but that's no biggie because it's literally free for the taking to anyone who agrees to their declaration. And there were no strings attached to this offer. I didn't even have to clean up my computer for malware after visiting the site and the only e-mails I received were from them thanking me for downloading or something like that and have never received an e-mail from them since. It's really free!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Neat Lorax, really neat.

Electronic documents are a great way to save on paper. Problem is that a lot of people also want to print them out. Why, I have no idea they are sitting there right infront of you.

Slowly shifting paradigms......

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Not to get off topic here but I'm cleaning up from yesterday and couldn't help but notice a few all beef franks on the grill that somebody forgot to stick in the frig from yesterday. I compost and don't put meats of any type in my composter but this absolutely kills me because we rarely have hotdogs over here and now they have to be pitched. There are five sitting there on the grill that nobody can eat. Why can't we toss those into a hole somewhere? I'm digging three holes today to plant three shrubs and they're decent sized holes and I'm running back and forth and looking at these hotdogs and thinking I can't toss them out because I might get a raccoon or opossum sick and I don't want them in the open composter for obvious reasons but why not at the bottom of the holes I'm digging for the shrubs? It's not like a hotdog per hole will be exposed to critters and they wouldn't end up in a landfill?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Lorax, you can put them into a trench compost (sparingly) with some leaves and what not. Just make sure that it is deep enough so that some dog (or other animal) doesn't come along and dig it up.

What I do, is place a layer of leaves in my trench, then add what little meat I have and then a layer of leaves and then fill in with dirt.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Our dogs are always on leashes when they go out. They are runners. Stray dogs around here are few but we are loaded with critters that I wouldn't want getting into any spoiled meats. My holes are deep enough that I don't think it would be worth a raccoon's time to dig down 2' to get to a hotdog.

We have very few meats that are ever tossed because normally we refrigerate everything immediately. We eat all left overs here. I normally have them for lunch. Have a big problem wasting any food so I will eat things I don't particularly care for such as hotdogs to avoid throwing them out. Every once in a while we order a pizza and the left overs sit out on the counter in the box forgotten or what happened yesterday and that's when I need someplace to stash it other than my composter. I've been pitching the accidents in the past and got to thinking why not toss a little in the bottoms of holes I dig. I don't know that the once a month this happens warrants a trench. I suppose I could go dig a trench somewhere but I'd prefer to just toss a hotdog into each hole I'm digging. I can't do that though right?

doccat5
Green Thumb

Appreciate the site info Lorax! I was delighted to discover I could download the book without having to pay a fee. Good stuff.

Btw Rodale Press is the source for all things/books/literature Organic and have been for many years!

aqh88
Cool Member

Your not gonna make possums and coons sick. :lol: You have any idea what those buggers eat? I always toss them the stuff that's way too far gone for people or dogs. Like raw hamburger that I forgot was thawing in the back of the fridge. I decided to investigate the horrible smell and found a half pound of hamburger that was turning weird colors. A few already cooked hotdogs isn't gonna make them sick. If the hotdogs sat for 2weeks it wouldn't make them sick. However I do toss things pretty far from the house over the fence otherwise it's an invite to have coons on my porch destroying things. They will also dig up anything you bury unless it's pretty deep. I've had them dig down a foot or 2 through dirt I thought I'd packed well to get stuff like that. It might not be worth the risk of having to replant something. The coyotes are worse about digging but the coons will destroy things rather than just dig around them. I'd dig a seperate hole if you really want to bury them unless your planting quite deep.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Glad you liked that download site! I was pretty darn excited when the link was sent to me and I realized the whole book was free!

Yup, we've got coyotes around here too. Yes, I know what raccoons and opossums eat. I find them in my garbage cans rooting around all the time. Turd heads. I think they are a team. Mr. Raccoon lifts the lids off to have a go at the goodies from within then Mr. Opossum appears to partake in the feast. Our garbage cans are outside the kitchen window about 30' away and if you have the windows open for fresh air and hear that telltale clink clank of the lid hitting the cement sidewalk... all you have to do is wait about 15 minutes and shine a light out there and you can catch both in the act. Pretty funny to see the raccoon's head pop out of the can like Oscar the Grouch before taking off. The opossum never bothers to check out the light source in favor of gorging away merrily but you can catch flashes of his silvery gray coat so you know he's in there too.

I was a bad girl. I must admit to tossing a few hotdogs in holes. Call it an experiment... a sort of 21st Century take on the Three Sisters Gardening technique. They're about 2' down and I was thinking about raccoons and totally forgot about the coyotes. Coyotes have been known to bury partially eaten stray cats so they can come back and eat at a later time so here's hoping they don't dig up my newly planted shrubs. I'll throw the rest of the hotdogs out and dig some sort of a trench the next time we forget to put left overs in the frig.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Just found this-
https://fukuokafarmingol.info/

And this-
https://www.small-farm-permaculture-and-sustainable-living.com/permaculture_principles.html

Return to “Permaculture Forum”