Rairdog
Green Thumb

I was lazy this year... Stuffed with melons

I neglected to start any veggies for the hugelkultur...so I threw in some various melon seeds, pole bean seeds and some banana plants around mid June and let it go. It's stuffed with melons.

Melon pics to come....bananas???...I doubt it...lol but one can hope!

webmaster
Site Admin

Wow! That must be sucking the nutrients out of the soil like crazy. Maybe thin the herd?

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I put on straw and wood chips last fall and have a big pile of wood chips for this fall that has aged a year. I don't think they need thinned but it's all been an experiment in hugelkultur/sheet composting and such.

It seems that curcubits always do best in un-mature compost. You always here stories of how somebody's pumpkins went wild in their compost pile. Last year I topped the new pile with fresh leaf mold/compost and Alpaca manure. Peppers and toms went wild. I figure this year was just and experiment to see what curcubits can do....IDK

Pic's as promised...I think the seeds I saved from Minnesota Midgets got crossed with the Asians. I kept waiting for the MM to show up and all had a yellow tint and less webbing. Needless to say....if they crossed they are fantastic. They taste more on the Haley's best side than the apple flavor of the usual Asians I grow.

Return to “Permaculture Forum”