ShadowShark622
Newly Registered
Location: Intermountain Northern CA/app. 4,000 ft./Zone &A or 7B

Primocane raspberries. When and how would I transplant?

Hi Everyone! My name is Pat. I live in NorCal, at about 4,000 ft. I hope someone can help me with these Fallgold raspberries, as they're the most delectable goodies I've ever eaten, with the possible exception of an Ashmead's Kernal & a Hawkeye (red...blah!) Delicious. SO, I planted one cane last summer, pinched off the blossoms, so the plant could give all it's energy to growing & being a big, healthy plant. Some not nice person cut it to the ground last fall (which actually may have been the correct thing to do). This spring, they have popped with about 12 new plants. they'll give me a small spring/summer harvest, then another one late summer. My main question is this. Obviously, they're too close together, and need to be separated out, and transplanted, but I'm bot sure if I should just dig carefully, take out the whole root ball and gently separate and plant, or is there another, more correct way to handles these guys. This is my 1st experience with everbearing raspberries, and any & all input will be gratefully accepted. Many Thanks in advance, Pat R./NorCal

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Pat.
Whoever cut your canes down in the autumn...did the correct thing. Primo canes are normal cut down as they crop on new cane. The other rasp...summer fruiting Florican... Crop on two year old cane so they require a lot of strong support wiring to hold over wintering cane.
As to digging up your canes.
Primo cane are usually allowed to grow much denser than summer cropping. But if you do need to devide them a sharp bladed spade will sever the roots so you can lift spare canes without disturbing the remainders too much.
Do it in the winter when the plant is dormant , and try to get a few inches of root on the canes you lift.
Good luck.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Raspberries are not much different than Blackberries.

I have Cumberland Raspberry plants native to Tennessee and native to many other near by States. They are very productive, berries are about 1" diameter. First year canes make no berries. Second year canes make berries. Third year canes die. New canes grow up from runners every year. I never thin my berry patch. I keep my berry patch under control with the lawn mower so it all stays in a patch 5 feet wide by 30 feet long.

Raspberries and blackberries both have the ability to make berries until frost but the TRICK is to pick every single berry on the plant. If you miss just 1 berry it triggers the whole plant to stop producing. You must pick every day and you must pick every thing that is ripe. I can pick 5 gallons of berries every month with my little berry patch but after 2 months of picking I am tried of it. One year I picked berries until the end of Sept.

After about 5 years my berry patch is getting over crowded with dead canes so I let a new patch grow up a few feet from the old patch. When the new patch is producing a good crop of berries I burn the old patch. 5 years later the new patch is over grown with old canes so I let it migrate back to where the old patch use to be. 2 years later when the new patch is producing good berries I burn the old patch. About every 5 years I let it migrate to a new location then burn the old patch. This is a lot less work than trying to cut out old dead canes.

Berries are easy to control mow around them with the lawn mower and cut off canes that stick way out into the yard. They make great pies, cobblers, wine, just like blackberries.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Cumberland Raspberries. These large berries make it quick and easy to harvest enough to make a cobbler in only a few minutes worth of picking. They make the best cobbler, pie, jam and wine I ever had. Wine needs to age about 4 years to be good.

I made 187 bottles of wine 7 years ago. It was all good. We drank the last bottle 2 months ago.

Return to “Permaculture Forum”