j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

Example of Microclimate

Last year I grew some nasturtiums in a brick planter. They self seeded and soon there were baby nasturtiums scattered to about a foot and a half from the base. I left them to see what would happen. Winter came in and killed them all...except for some that had rooted up against the bricks. A nice little example of a beneficial microclimate.
IMG_6203.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Nasturtiums are funny. They are annuals and die back in the summer. They like cool dry conditions. The seeds that drop will lay dormant until conditions for growth are good again and then they sprout. I have nasturtiums coming us regularly now. I just have to keep them in the beds. Mine are just starting to flower now, all from last years' seed. I did not plant any new ones.

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

I appreciate how unruly they are...it's also funny how they won't flower if the soil is too fertile. I want to get some naturalized in the wilder spaces in my yard. I saved an envelope worth of seed from last year.

imafan26
Mod

They don't even have to be planted as long as the soil is not rock hard. Just scratch the surface, throw out the seeds and walk away. Pretty much how I plant dill too. It is another thing that does not like rich soil and not a lot of water either.

Return to “Permaculture Forum”