Rairdog
Green Thumb

Fall Cover Crops

I have been researching using brasicas as a fall cover crop. I have seen others use mustard. Then I found an article that was researching the use of brasicas to help cure some wilts (Verticillium) and other soil borne diseases. It also suggests they can help suppress bugs. Since I had floods this year I think there is a Phytophthora fungus or some other kind of wilt that has cause a lot of my veggies to die off. I think it is causing wilt in my cukes. One vine dies off at at time and then the next one dies off. I think the water submerged soil has promoted this fungus. Some studies say it can take up to 3 years for the soil to fix itself unless you buy expensive treatment. Here is a list of stuff that I can't pronounce and would not want to use; cyazofamid, dimethomorph, etridiazole, fosetyl-Al, famoxadone plus cymoxanil, fluoicolide, mandipropamid, metalaxyl, mefenoxam, mancozeb, or propamocarb.

This would be ideal since I have let mustard, icicle radish, diakon radish, bok choi and others go to seed. I have already collected plenty. I also read the diakon will help draw up the deep nutes and break down over winter to help loosen the soil. Just let the frost kill them off and leave them in the ground.

I would like to know your thoughts on this subject. Here is a link to the article.

https://www.sare.org/Learning-Center/Boo ... d-Mustards

imafan26
Mod

I have used India mustard, single gold and Crackerjack marigolds for nematode control. I have used mustards, radishes, and some of the Asian greens as scavenger crops to use up the excess fertilizer after planting corn. I have used buckwheat, cowpea and sun hemp as green manure to add biomass and if the legumes are inoculated, I will get some nitrogen fixation as well.

I can grow year round so my conditions are different.

I know that Northern gardeners will plant winter rye or wheat as a fall or winter cover crop.

Return to “Permaculture Forum”