Ladyjanefairfax
Newly Registered

HOW CAN I ATTRACT LADY BIRDS AND LACE WINGS INTO MY GARDEN?

Hi there. I'm trying to 'go organic'! But as I have now got rid of pesticides and slug pellets, I need help from the lady birds and lace wings. I have a hedgehog which is lucky and she/he is very kindly keeping down my slug and snail population. Mind you he or she then leaves hedgehog poo on my patio!! So Spike as I have very imaginatively called her isn't entirely my best mate, but there you go!!

Now I need to attract the good insects to keep the nasty ones at bay. I have black fly on my beans!! Growl . Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Cheers

MANDYLOUISE
Newly Registered

HI, I recently obtained a list of beneficial insects. Some that attract lacewings are alyssum, amaranthus, coreopsis,cosmos,helianthus annulus, lemon balm, statice and yarrow. Ladybugs also like most of those,plus digitalis and something called convolvulus minor. Herbs and mints will also attracts lots of different beneficials. I have had good luck attracting praying mantis to my "Golden Lights" cosmos. Regarding your bean plants, I don't know if this will work, but I sprinkled lots of chili powder on my rose bush and it seems to have stopped whatever was chewing the leaves. I have to replenish it after a rain. Best of luck with your organic gardening. Isn' it great to avoid chemicals and to know that birds and wildlife are not being poisoned when they vist your yard!!

MANDYLOUISE
Newly Registered

When I posted my reply, I didn't realize, having just recently joined, that there is a very good posting about beneficial insects from Opabinia51 just above your posting. It lists the different plants and tells what each of them attracts. There is probably much more info on this site that I havent't accessed yet, but thought you might want to check that list out.

Return to “Permaculture Forum”