SatyrGrey

Pallets, aka scrap gold.

So, I had gotten my hands on several pallets from a paint store-- they weren't the really nice ones, but they were free so I shoved them into my mom's mini-van without delay...

Side Note: For anyone looking to make use of pallets for projects around your garden/farm/house/homestead, I highly suggest a reciprocating saw with a blade for cutting metal.... Or a hand saw with a metal-cutting blade.

I finally got them torn down with my recip-saw, and will be setting up my fence with them... But here are a few things you can use the slats and cross bars for:

Raised Garden Beds
Compost Bins
Compost
Stepping 'Stones'
Edging
Chicken Coops
Chicken Tractors
Rabbit Hutches
Animal Bedding
Props (To keep stuff off the ground-- though I'm sure you could use one in your comedy routine too...)
Birdhouses
Bat Houses
Making Humus
Mushroom Growing(?)
Firewood
Furniture
Houses (Yes, I've seen videos of houses made out of Pallets)
Mulch
Craft Projects
Throwing At People/Feral Beasts
Tool Handles
Toys
Boats(?)
Wood Turning
Green Houses
Cold Frames
Smoke Boxes (For meat curing)
Making Grow Containers (window boxes?)

I'm sure the list goes on, and on, and on... but these are as many as I can think up right now... I'll be using my pallets for a fence, and possibly a green house and smoke box.

What would you do with pallets?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I've been thinking about pallet fencing also. Leave them intact and standing upright. Strengthening or capping the tops with 2x4s. You could also use T-post every third or fourth.

Some fun videos

[youtudotbe]https://youtu.be/hUemgodIwiI[/youtudotbe]

Roger may not like this video, but it's close to home. I may go this route on my fence.

Hog - goat fence / pen
[youtudotbe]https://youtu.be/iWQ13GCgc-M[/youtudotbe]

Eric

SatyrGrey

Usually a low fence with sideways slats won't retain goats, they'd look at that fence and say "Sweet, a ladder!" or just plain hop it first chance they get. Not sure at all how she manages to pull that one off... Since I didn't get a good look at her goats.

There is a breed of sheep that looks exactly like a goat, only way to tell the difference is that they don't have the beard. So her goats may be sheep, or freaks who doesn't think to escape (which is weird...)

Anyway.... Nice vids!

webmaster
Site Admin

Usually a low fence with sideways slats won't retain goats, they'd look at that fence and say "Sweet, a ladder!"
Very good insight!
:)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

if the pallets are angled inward a bit (towards the goats/whatever they're holding) they'll become non-ladder-like pretty quick.

Return to “Permaculture Forum”