luigonz

range land management in semi arid climates

hello,

I just visited my friend in San Antonio Texas, still realing from this summers drought, they have 27 acres.

about half is grazed by 2 full grown horses and 3 longhorns.
parts of the fields is exposed soil.!!

I suggested a paddock system for the animals, to prevent the double bite!

what would yall suggest to seed, ive heard of vetch white cover alfalfa, but it is still so dry.

we also dug some retaining ditches along the contour lines to help keep what little rain we get!

any suggestions would help.

:P

luigonz

my own advice to them was:

to get rid of the horses and cows, plant the native acacia trees, white clover and let humus layer regen over the next few years!

then they could plant figs and citrus, with cilantro and arugula, mint, etc. grown in the shade of the orchards, raise pigs off the fruits and figs!!!

perhaps I am day dreaming! they expect another scorching summer.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

luigonz,

You or friend maybe interested in "A Farm for the Future". Even if you don't believe in Global Warming or Peak Oil, it's a good 5 part video. I would recommend watching from the beginning, but at least watch the last 3 segments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xShCEKL-mQ8

Berms, swales and deep mulch systems. Shelter-belts with edible natives. Shade the ground and or keep the soil covered. I would use artificial shade if necessary. Water catchment.

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What Eric said! I would think to farm/ranch in Texas especially in current conditions would be all about water conservation, so:

xeriscaping - planting with desert adapted native plants

water catchment - including the swales, berms, ditches for water catching and channeling, but also perhaps rain barrels/ cistern etc. If they have or will have paved areas look in to permeable paving

windbreak, shelterbelt, hedgerows - shrub/tree plantings to stop wind and provide shade, preferably native plantings that are attractive to birds/ bees/ beneficial insects

no till, deep mulch, cover crop - never let the soil be bare

large scale composting to increase the organic matter/ tilth of the soil

luigonz

thank you for the relies!

I worked on a permacultue farm in tucson,

but texas is a lil different. eh, I ve skimmed whitefield's How to make a forest Garden book, perhaps I ll BUY it!!

and of course bill mollison's intro to perma

on a side note: are veggies not viable in forest gardens? perhaps just different types of veggies.

perhaps herbs and berries!!
I should do more regional research...
ok I'm excited NOW
haha

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I believe in the videos, you can see rhubarb, squashes, artichokes, mints and some other perennials on the forest floor edges.

My brother has a bundle of Linden trees. I will be planting some in my forest garden. Lettuce substitute. They are called Lime trees in the, A Farm for the Future video.

Eric

Return to “Permaculture Forum”