thanrose
Greener Thumb

Make sure you are getting Typha latifolia and not Typha angustifolia. T angustifolia has narrower leaves, forms denser stands, and the flower spike is separated by a bit of green stem, though it might be a bit late for you to note this now. The latter is just not as kind to waterfowl and other plants, creating a monoculture island without providing spaces for other flora and fauna to frolic.

Yeah, any Typha spp. will love any moisture retaining space, like a swale. If you are vigilant about rooting it out as you find it, you'll be okay, but ignore it for a year and you'll need the back hoe.

Cattail is probably the single most edible plant. Every part to some degree and at some season. Search Arthur Haines on youtube for harvesting the pollen+. Pollen alone is scant. Pounding out the starch from the rhizomes sounds like fun but is tedious. Methods abound. Shoots are good, very young flowers are good. Water has to be wholesome. Your duck pond if it's very green and odiferous may produce muddy tasting rhizomes. Cattail will clean the water to some degree though. It's passably good at bioremediation for polluted waters.

I like the idea of digging a deeper area for sediment to settle. With the amount of duck and dog activity, I think that will work to a good extent. Will be longer for it to dry out, so you may be hauling buckets of wet muck next year this time

I've dug cattail rhizomes with my toes. Great workout for your feet, then great workout for your back as you clean your toes of the black sediment.

applestar
Mod

When those cattails popped up, I harvested them for the "heart" and loved them. 8)

Return to “Permaculture Forum”