nickolas

Has anyone else grown this permaculture tree.

Has anyone else on this helpful gardener gardening forum ever grown tagasaste, or am I the only one on this forum to have had the privilege of growing it and reap the wonderful rewards from it.

I don't know how to post a picture of tagasaste so I will post [url=https://www.google.com.au/search?q=picture+of+a+tagasaste+tree&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FCBCTovENsuNmQWA4NHLCQ&ved=0CBsQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=567]a link to a website that has a lot of pictures of tagsaste[/url].

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/147272/tagasaste.pdf
It is adapted to a range of soils, preferring
the more freely drained ones, but it does not do well
on low lying sites subject to water logging. It may be
able to cope with at least moderately acid soils
This is the concern I have for my property. This is why I chose ducks over chickens. My property is very wet in the winter. It's much better now that I have berm and swales on contour. Not sure if Tagasaste would adapt.

I am growing Siberian Pea shrub. Also nitrogen fixing and foraging.
https://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_caar18.pdf

Eric

nickolas

This is the concern I have for my property. This is why I chose ducks over chickens. My property is very wet in the winter. It's much better now that I have berm and swales on contour. Not sure if Tagasaste would adapt.
Tagasaste I think would not only adapt but would thrive and help to dry your property out in winter. I am going to plant some tagasaste on my swales when my swales are finely done.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Part of why I like this Forum - learn something new every day. I had never heard of tagaste (aka tree lucerne), so I looked it up.

Sounds really interesting. High protein content, makes good fodder for animals, attractive to birds and bees:

. Easy to propagate from seed. Provides good bee fodder August to September. Attracts birds. Provides feed for most farm animals. Nitrogen fixing, drought tolerant, wind tolerant. Fast growing, good for erosion control, but not as effective as willow. Competitive against gorse. Attract predatory insects. Good for dry areas. Excellent provider for compost and mulch.
https://www.permaculture.org.nz/node/68

That's from a NewZealand permaculture website. The tree is native to Canary Islands.

If I lived where you do Nikolas, I would definitely be interested in it. For me, it would be just another fast growing, fast spreading, difficult to eradicate alien exotic. My native leguminous (nitrogen fixing) tree is the beautiful redbud, which is similarly fast growing, attractive to birds, edible flowers high in Vitamin C. I don't know that it has the same fodder usage, but since I'm in the city without livestock, not important to me. Anyway I will stick with my native redbud.

Another American native leguminous tree, good for hard wood production, fast growing, and nitrogen fixing is the Acacia.

But thanks for sharing and adding to my knowledge!

(Incidentally in the New to Helpful Gardener section under Helpful Tips and suggestions for New Members are the instructions for how to post your own photos here.)

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

don't know it, but it's on my radar now. cheers.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Good for dry areas
That's what I'm thinking, not right for my climate.

Willow is a weed here. Cut off a branch, push it in the ground, another willow. :shock: Good for the brother and wife. They make baskets, furniture, wattle and weave.

Eric

soil
Greener Thumb

do they coppice the willow DD?

nickolas

The biggest and healthiest clump of tagasaste trees I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of clumps of tagasaste trees was growing on a very small island in the middle of a dam. The clump of trees was over a 75 years old and still growing strong till the stupid farmer poisoned it with roundup and in the prose’s put poisoned in his dam.
So tagasaste should to only cope but thrive in wet conditions as well as dry conditions.
But on the other hand I think rain is wet so who am I to judge.

nickolas

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
Good for dry areas
That's what I'm thinking, not right for my climate.

Willow is a weed here. Cut off a branch, push it in the ground, another willow. :shock: Good for the brother and wife. They make baskets, furniture, wattle and weave.
Eric
I have seen tagasaste trees that have had there roots submerged in water for weeks at a time when a creek burst its banks and when the water finally went down as well as when the roots were Submerged During the high water leve that clump had a very big growing burst.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Nickolas,

Not sure if you are still lurking around. I just ordered 50 Tagasaste seeds @ $3.50 from https://greenharvest.com.au/Ghost/ES2AboutUs.php + $5.50 shipping.

Eric

nickolas

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Nickolas,

Not sure if you are still lurking around. I just ordered 50 Tagasaste seeds @ $3.50 from https://greenharvest.com.au/Ghost/ES2AboutUs.php + $5.50 shipping.

Eric
g-day Erick, and yes I am still lurking around.

I think they over charged you for the 50 Tagasaste seeds at $3.50 + $5.50 shipping,if you are abell to resive Tagasaste seeds from Australia then I could have sent you 10 thousand Tagasaste seeds for the same price(you can just fit 10 thousand Tagasaste seeds in a small 45 matches, match box).

I get all my Tagasaste seeds for free off my own Tagasaste trees.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

:oops: Oh well, at least I'm supporting Organic and Permaculture.

Are you growing Lime trees aka Linden or basswood? The leaves are consumed like lettuce.

Eric

nickolas

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
Are you growing Lime trees aka Linden or basswood? The leaves are consumed like lettuce.

Eric
no I am not at this curent time but I will keep my eyes out for it.

nickolas

DoubleDogFarm wrote::oops: Oh well, at least I'm supporting Organic and Permaculture.

Eric
oh well, I gess 50 seads is still a good amount to start with.

p.s. make sure that you blanch the tagasaste seads and not scarify them(you get a much better strike rate doing it this way).

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

P.S. How are you.
One day at a time Nickolas.

My tree seeds never arrived. I received an email with shipping information. Maybe they are lost in Customs?

Eric

nickolas

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
P.S. How are you.

My tree seeds never arrived. I received an email with shipping information. Maybe they are lost in Customs?

Eric
that's a bumer :( , do you think that it mite have been quarantine that stoped and possibly destroyed the seeds upon entering America?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Not sure how international shipping works. You guess is as good as mine. :?

Eric

Tonio
Green Thumb

nickolas wrote:
DoubleDogFarm wrote:
P.S. How are you.

Eric
that's a bumer :( , do you think that it mite have been quarantine that stoped and possibly destroyed the seeds upon entering America?
That is a high probability-at least the quarantine part. Not sure if if the transaction was via postal mail, but they do have international reg's in regards to plants/soil along with all shipping methods.

T

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Nickolas, What is the low temperature where your are? Do you know what temperatures Tagasaste can stand? We can have mom send some seeds, she in at Jacobs Well, NSW.
Thankyou Richard

nickolas

in winter we can get down to about -6c a and in sumer we can get as high as 50c, but I don't think you can get any plant matter in or out of Australia. you can't even get any plant matter into western Australia from the rest of Australia!

mattstern
Newly Registered

I've learned a lot from this post 8). I remember seeing the name tagasaste in some permaculture books, but I never looked into it or considered growing it. I am planning for some mini hedgerow plantings around some of our poultry zones. Thinking tagasaste could be a good addition...

nickolas

@mattstern if you like tagasaste you should look into Moringa tree's, once you have a few Moringa tree's growing at your place you will wonder how you ever survived without them!

mattstern
Newly Registered

nice! I'll check em out

Mohanbu
Newly Registered
Location: Sydney, Australia : warm temperate climate : around the Pacific Ocean

I want to grow it in Sydney NSW

Mohanbu
Newly Registered
Location: Sydney, Australia : warm temperate climate : around the Pacific Ocean

Hi Nickolas, do you use the Rhizobia for growing Tagasaste. I will need your help and guidance to grow it in Sydney, NSW. Thanks n regards

Return to “Permaculture Forum”