!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

good time for wild gathering

in my neck of the woods these days. finding ramps, solomon's seal shoots, nettles, the most lush patch of almost-flowering chickweed I've ever seen, dandelions that aren't yet bitter at all...lots of good wild edibles out there; you can feel yourself getting smarter, eating them (:D). within the next couple weeks, should be morels popping up at my elevation, too.

soil
Greener Thumb

ive been eating our wild greens for about a little over month now. started out with the best chickweed year ive ever seen. I got TONS of it dried for tea later this year. ill agree with the dandelions too, not bitter at all yet this year. and there's TONS of em around here haha.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

lots of violet greens (and flowers) and watercress going into salads these days, too. I probably oughta dry some chickweed, too, but it may all go into chickweed/nettle pesto, if I don't watch my wife closely. oh well.

applestar
Mod

Never heard of chickweed tea -- benefits? Flavor?

Just starting to see chickweed and upland cress, some hen bit, nice evening primrose greens, garlic mustard which I like mixed in sautéed greens in small quantities.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

My chickweed and dandelions are done. Thistles and dock, too. Eh, not really true, the thistles have reseeded, so I'm getting a few of them. Still getting smilax shoots and some fiddleheads, but it's already late in my season for them. Oxalis is already fungus laden, done for this year unless I want to dig for the tubers on some.

Have not gone mucking about for cattail yet this year.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

just wanted to add milkweed shoots to my list, had never taken the time to cook 'em right - delicious! scored a (single) morel about a week ago, too. solomon's seal shoots still coming. lambs quarter just getting big enough to start cutting...

applestar
Mod

Common milkweed (A.syriaca) are starting to produce seedpods!
I've always wanted to try the milkweed silk "cheese" so I picked a few of the bigger ones, took out the silk and put them on last night's hamburger. A quick broil and the silks melted as "advertised" Yum!

Now I'm eating the smaller pods sliced whole in a risotto. :(). They are kind of okra-like. I was thinking of stuffing jalapeño peppers with salted silks for stuffed jalapeño substitute, but I wonder if they could be battered and fried on their own...? Do they have to be water-prepped as in soups and stews?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

my understanding is that they do. if they're around here, I may hunt some down and try this weekend. the shoots were one of my favorite of this past spring.

Return to “Permaculture Forum”