Bloody Boots

Ground Nuts?

I was listening to one of my Favorite Podcasts (The Survival Podcast) and the host (Jack) mentioned Ground nuts as an amazing permaculture crop. I've found a little bit online, does anyone have any experience growing Groundnuts?

[url=https://www.maryrowlandson.com/groundnuthomepage.html]Linky[/url]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Generally known as peanuts? Or is this a different plant?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

A totally different plant. The peanut plant is Arachis hypogaea.

Groundnuts
[img]https://www.ediblelandscaping.com/Plants/PlantImages/ground%20nut%20tuber(fruit).jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

I've read about them in wild food foraging books and websites, but had not considered intentionally growing them. Those places usually mention large stands/area of the ground nut plants, and variable sizes of the tubers. I wonder how big an area you would need to dedicate to them to get a reasonable harvest that can be sustained. :?:

Thanks for the link. Something to think about! :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Very interesting. High in protein, good for the vegetarian diet.

My brother has a couple large stands of Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus). I wonder if the sunflower stock could be the trellis for the vining Ground nut?

Eric

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I know that researchers at the university of louisiana have been working on a breeding program with them.. apparently the best improved varieties have tubers that get bigger yearly, rather than just adding more walnut-sized tubers in the chain - word I heard was third-year tubers that were up to at least 6 inches in diameter, giving much better yields than unselected varieties.

I know oikos tree crops sells some, but they were out of everything last time I checked. as a fan of tubers in general, and perennials as well, I'm trying to get my hands on a few...hoping next spring I can score some.

Return to “Permaculture Forum”