sweet thunder

How much at once?

I am currently replanting a corner of my yard that I had cleared and sheet-mulched last year. I have just planted five raspberry plants along one side of the fence, and on the other, two hazelnuts, rhubarb and an artichoke. The rest of the area is empty except for a thick straw mulch.

I want to incorporate plants from the whit oak/hazelnut guild as well as some annual veggies and I'm wondering how much of this I should do this season. Should guild elements all grow up together, or is it better to let the hazelnuts get a little bit established first?

applestar
Mod

Where's the white oak?

sweet thunder

To be honest, I don't have one. I have little space and already more shade than I know what to do with. Since I'm determined to grow hazelnuts, I figure I might as well plant them with some of their natural companions, especially since they're plants I know do well in my area.
Maybe that makes it something less than a guild, but still a community I suppose, and hopefully one that can still thrive.

applestar
Mod

:wink: Gee, I feel like the old lady in the famous Wendy's Commercial! :lol:

I think it's safe to plant them at once... In fact I do believe they should "grow together" as you said. But keep in mind that Hazel and Rhubarb are going to stay for a long time and both will get bigger and spread. In fact, the artichoke is going to get pretty big too before it's done.... I guess it makes sense since the White Oak would tower over them all.

I understand your reasoning. Did you notice on my tour that I also have Hazel, Rhubarb and Raspberry planted in close approximation? ( and no oak? :wink: -- the token "tree" in that guild is the Seckel pear espalier.)

What will be the N- fixing element? I didn't mention it but there is a Ceanothus americanus ( NJ Tea ) between the Rhubarb and the Raspberries on the Backyard side. I also tried to grow Myrica (Northern Bayberry) along with the blueberries on the front yard side, but it didn't make it. ( but that opened up the space for the Nameless Rhubarb)

For ground layer element, I've sowed Scarlet Clover seeds all around because I think when they flower, the scarlet flowers and the red Rhubarb stalks will complement each other while contrasting with the white clover already there, as well as the white fence.

If you don't have an N-fixer selected yet, you could always plant bush beans or possibly pole or scarlet runner beans on a bamboo pole teepee for vertical element this year.

sweet thunder

I'm planning to put some pole beans there in the short term for nitrogen.
Hemenway recommends American vetch as an N-fixing groundcover, which looks pretty and according to Sunset, isn't as invasive as other types of vetch. If I can't find it, though, I'll probably go with clover.

In the fall I plan to plant a goumi, which I know isn't a traditional part of the guild, but it will fit well into the space and serve several purposes. I really want a ceanothus as well, but I have another bed where that may go.

I appreciate your input!

Return to “Permaculture Forum”