ronbre
Cool Member

seeds I bought and free seeds I got in the mail, most plante

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well with our hot weather (hottest place in the US yesterday go figure) I decided to get out and plant some of my seeds today.

I have a food forest garden with fruit and nut trees and perennials already in like asparagus and rhubarb and mult onions, herbs and horseradish ..but I also plant many of my annual vegetable plants out there

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well with the forcast that we have for hot and dry, I soaked the garden for 2 to 3 hours each day with the soaker hose over the past week so I could plant every other day.
Anyway, I got most of my seeds planted, some I'm saving for a fall garden planting, but man I got a lot lot lot of seeds planted out in my gardens, around my trees and perennials in all the bare spots of soil.

so so far I have planted: anise, 2 kinds of bush beans, basil,bulls blood beets,broccoli, 3 kinds of cabbage, caraway, wong bok chinese cabbage, several differnt kinds of carrots including solar yellow, caulliflower, chives and garlic chives, 2 kinds of sweet corn, collards, swiss card, a whole bunch of varieties of cucumber, florence fennel,dill, greek oregano, russian red kale and another kale, 2 kinds of kohlrabi (never did get any rutabaga or turnip seeds),gobs of mixed lettuce and mesclun seeds, tendergreen mustard, pak choi, parsley, (have lots of other herbs already in), 5 kinds of pumpknis, peas and snap peas, peppers and tomatoes, way too many of those, spinach (just ate some today),4 kinds of summer squash, spaghetti squash and 7 kinds of winter squash, summer savory, tarragon, and 2 kinds of watermelon.

still have a gob of seed for a fall garden and some to save for next year..the garden isn't big enough for everything

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Wow, I will be heading for your house come harvest, for dinner!

You got alot planted.

I am hoping the storms here pass me by, I need another dry day to get more planted! But, it doesn't really look like I stand a chance of not getting rain again! So, how many months till dinner? :lol:

applestar
Mod

ronbre, that's an awesome list! Do you save Heirloom/OP seeds? How do you keep some many varieties separated? (Like I could talk -- I pack them in despite my limited space. But today, I was also puzzling over where to plant/how to distribute my pumpkins, cukes, squash, and watermelons, in consideration of already planted and growing set of the same as well as melons..... :wink:)

ronbre
Cool Member

Well unfortunately most of these seeds are hybrid rather than OP..the bulls blood beets are OP and I have them isolated, and some of the herbs and parsnips (saving from last year for seed) I'll get seed from..but as I said most of these are HYB. I got 57 packets of seeds for free from the seed corp this year, I had bought some as well.

a few of the seeds I have are OP..but most aren't so I'm not attempting to save very many this year. I would like to one day buy all OP seeds and go with single varieties so I don't have to separate them..but at this time I just don't have them to work with.

I have in the past had a lot of plants come by volunteer and they all turned out to be a good product, not the same as the parent, but still good and edible..so I'm never afraid of volunteers. In the past I used to buy the heirloom or OP seeds and plant them, but with so many seeds given to me free or so cheap on sale ..I just didn't need to buy them for this year...so alas..nope..not open pollinated.

ronbre
Cool Member

Mary, it will be mid June before most of my plants start bearing edibles, I have some swiss chard, some herbs, some spinach and some lettuce mixes that are bearing from the seed, and then I also have of course my asparagus, rhubarb,etc that bear in the spring. Most of my fruit tree buds were frosted, but I do have strawberries shaping up, not red yet, and my black raspberries are in bloom now.

With the discovery that I was prediabetic..I'm really thankful for my green garden plants now, coming on, as it has been very expensive for me to have to buy the low carb foods that I'm not used to eating (I was a whole grain, fruit and vegetable girl and I seldom ate meat, eggs, cheese, fat or anything like that) now I have to try to make my main meals from meat, eggs, nuts, cheese, fat and NO STARCH NO SUGAR vegetables..so I've been loving my swiss chard, spinach, salads and asparagus !!!!!

Return to “Permaculture Forum”