katylaide
Cool Member

MY DELIBERATELY MESSY GARDEN PLANS THWARTED!

I don't want to get angry at someone who shall remain nameless so I'll just complain to people who understand. I have a nice little vegie patch with densely planted vegetables, planted kind fo everywhere, not in rows.

I had volunteer radishes growing alongside broccoli and broadbeans and they were all very healthy. Although I had a lot of radishes I liked them because their big leaves were protecting the young broccoli and the leaves are nice as a spinach substitute.

So I come home today and most of the radishes are on the path, their leaves wilted! Somebody decided there were too many radishes so pulled them up, took the ones that were of eating size and left the rest in the sun so the leaves could wilt and be inedible! And now my broccoli seedlings are unprotected!

I put the pulled plants on the garden bed and some in the compost so they're not entirely going to waste (actually the garden could do with a bit more food), but it's still annoying. I get enough regulations at university so I don't want a conventional garden, I want one that makes me happy!

webmaster
Site Admin

I don't want a conventional garden, I want one that makes me happy!
I agree with your point of view. It's not the only point of view, it's not the only way to do it, but that's life, there are different ways of doing things.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like you need to have a conversation with Somebody (once you are calmed down and can do it nicely :) ) and explain more about what you are doing and why. We need to keep educating our partners!

But then there is a question of whose garden is it. If it is YOUR garden then you can just tell Somebody how you want things. If it is OUR garden, I.e. shared, then negotiation and compromise has to be done and there has to be some room for what makes Somebody happy too! :) Especially if you want Somebody to help with it!

katylaide
Cool Member

Hahahaha, somebody isn't my partner! Think of me as a child on this forum. It is just my garden but I've made peace with the situation in a very mature way.

Toil
Greener Thumb

I'm in a similar situation with a public garden. Only in that case you run into some really twisted social pressures. So, for instance, the popular crowd decides what is invasive and what isn't, never mind the opinion of scientists in general and local.

In that case, it's not that sustainable gardening and polyculture is rejected. It's treated as a joke in the first place, so outside the realm of possibility that there is no point listening. They don't see the frightfully fast erosion, or don't want to look. All they know is that straight rows and clear, bare earth looks like the farms they remember, so it must be right.

your radishes, by the way - just keep sowing them! They take what, 25 days out there? thrown some seeds out there every 5th day or so. I get my radishes in big packs, and I throw them places and forget them.

ronbre
Cool Member

aw that's a shame.

my husband has a head inujury..so sometimes he pulls plants I paid big $ for..but more often he just "weeds" out my seedlings

Return to “Permaculture Forum”