Toil
Greener Thumb

simulated herbivory

crazy idea... what do you think? If no one is munching isn't something missing?

when you mow you take the stem.

applestar
Mod

:lol: I had a similar thought. So, I do that with my "Wildflower Meadow" garden. Partly because I never actually eliminated the lawn grass before planting it. I just make pockets -- dug up, turned sod, or mini-sheet mulched -- to plant in. Somebody has to be the deer/bison around here and "eat" tall grass to the ground :wink: So to allow self-seeded and scattered seeds/seedballs to grow, I go around snatching hand(mouth)fuls of grass -- breaking off some, yanking out some (which are used in compost pile or as mulch) and scratch around/dethatch with my hand sickle. (I actually imagine myself as a grass-eating animal, to try to imagine the kind of unpatterned, random defoliation that might occur.) I tried with a hand rake, but that seems to cause too much wholesale damage.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I love you guys! :clap:

I just love the mental image of AS walking around the garden role-playing a deer/bison!

Toil
Greener Thumb

it's quite satisfying until I start throwing up and eating it again, and producing enough methane to thin the air.

applestar
Mod

I was revisiting -- or shall I say ruminating on :> -- this thread.... I think "drowned weeds" would sufficiently simulate the "end product." :wink: ...especially with a handful of bokashi or a glug of EM thrown in?

I remember my first and unaerated drowned weeds smelled like fresh horse manure.... 8)

Return to “Permaculture Forum”