webmaster
Site Admin

So do you feel we should stop growing most everything we eat as a culture today
I think you're going off topic to what this discussion is about. This discussion is about invasive non-native species. The discussion is about plants that get out in the wild and destroy the local habitat by displacing the local plants, which then starve the insects and animals that depended on those plants.

That's a vastly different category from the commercial cultivation of asparagus and radishes in North America. ;)
When I contemplate humans role in this amazing reality we find ourselves in, I come to the conclusion our very existence might be to be a hand in balancing the eco systems...
That is off topic to this discussion. Please stick to the topic under discussion.

Toil
Greener Thumb

I see no reason to bring about changes that can accelerate natural processes in ways that don't suit our species.
I.e. invasive non-native species. I am happy to discuss all of the other topics you brought up, but since WM would rather we not do it here, how about you start a thread on one of the topics?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Rog I gotta disagree; I don't think Silversides was way off topic, or even off topic... I don't agree, but I do think we are discussing the salient point here...

Invasives are invasives for one reason alone really, human introduction. Left to their own devices, plants can move in response to shifting climate or ecological opportunity, but in this case the ecosystem they are moving to has time to adapt itself to the introduction. It has been the rapidity of the human vector that has allowed so many plants, animals insects and diseases to spring fully formed into am ecosystem with disruptive result.

Our human history is littered with ecosystems and civililzations despoiled by our transport of biology to places not yet ready. How did 200 Spaniards defeat the Incan Empire? From a germ the Spanish carried (given to them not incidentally by the cows they raised; food is a serious consideration in the invasive conversation).

Look at any invasive issue of serious concern in the U.S. and you quickly see that we gardeners are responsible for the big majority of these issues. Our "adjustment of our surroundings" has deprived us of some of the most productive forest trees in our country (chesnut, elm) and threatens countless others (hemlock, oak, ash, dogwood etc.). Our assumptions of safety and resiliant ecosystem have been wrong time and again, and good work by folks like Doug Tallamy show that more often than not, even the most seemingly innocuous addition deprives a natural community of some valuable link.

I am reminded of the Aldo Leopold quote...
The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about it. The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: "What good is it?" If the land mechanism as a whole is good, then every part is good, whether we understand it or not. If the biota, in the course of aeons, has built something we like but do not understand, then who but a fool would discard seemingly useless parts? To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering.
Too often we have done just this with the use of an invasive to suit our own ends. The use of broom seems suited to our needs, but it disposes of many natural plants with an indiscriminate dispersion of genetic material and seed with no thought. Mustard is another permie darling plant that has no place on this continent, but I fear we are saddled with it to the detriment of the environments it now pollutes (the correct term in my mind).

One cannot be pro-environment and pro-invasive; the realities of the biota preclude one from the other. TRUE permaculture should embrace the environment it coexists in by valuing native inclusion above all others, and non-invasive plant materials as suitable adjuncts. The use of invasives is more damning than the use of tilling, or oil, or many of the other tools permies love to hate. I do not get the disconnect here; it is integral to ecological thinking...

HG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh man, don't get me started on mustard. I once spent a week with about ten other people doing a Sierra Club service project in Joshua Tree National Park. Almost all we did that week was pull mustard (I forget now the exact variety) as fast as we could, literal tons of the stuff!

It was destroying the rather fragile high desert ecosystem there. I really hope we managed to get rid of enough so it didn't just come back the next spring... I've never been back since to see what's happening there now.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Don't get me wrong, we shouldn't wring out permies as antithetical to the invasive issue; I am only asking them to recognize a particular issue within the framework of the teachings I think needs consideration.

For all I know Dave Holmgren or Bruce Mollison have written on ths extensively, but I have run into this invasive issue too many times for it to be a particularly clear section of the curriculum. The teachings of E.O. Wilson, Leopold, and Darwin himself let us know how intricate and specialized the natural world is, and how human perception of the ecosystem is continuously in need of reevaluation.

Our usurping of the dominant position in all decisions is premature and haughty, and more often than not a poor decision in respect to planetary health...

Until we see species in an equitable light

where the right to exist is an inalienable right

we are really just talking about making thneeds
which everyone wants, and everyone needs...
:wink:

HG (and Dr. S)

Toil
Greener Thumb

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25364[/url]

Buddleia

hey guys I should have posted it here. what do you think? am I way off base, or does two winters without dying back and spreading from seed constitute naturalization?

To me it's simple: the plant is a butterfly thief. It offers their larvae nothing, while using them to carry pollen. So they spread better than native species, and at the same time they decrease butterfly habitat even as they remain the most popular flower for the adults.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'm kind of in the same mind, toil. I have resisted this plant in my yard in favor of natives and veg and I get more than my fair share of the b-flies...

Still...

Nectar is a need and the plant clearly fills that need for a lot of insects. While we are certainly in the selection loop here in a big way, we are not able to steer butterflies to plants just yet, and it must fulfill some need...

From seed, really? Hadn't seen that yet. Well, that makes my decision adamant then...

HG

nickme23
Newly Registered

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Paul, I gotta ask... :?

How can we ever consider an invasive plant permaculture, when it is not ecologically sustainable by definition? If the non-native plant replaces enough native biomass, then according to what I understand, we will get attending losses of insects (usually around 25-30% of insects in any area won't have enzymes to digest the non-native plants). Then we lose some birds or frogs or fish that were counting on those bugs. And the plants that were counting on the insect to pollinate them don't reproduce and guess who fills that spot? Ad infinitum, ad nauseum, ad mortis.

Isn't sustainability part of permaculture? So shouldn't preserving the ecosystem be the very first step in permaculture?

IMHYVO (In My Humble Yet Vociferous Opinion :lol: )

HG
No idea if this has been laid to rest but I have to add my $0.02... Have you never heard of forest succession? Just because one plant dominates a specific area doesn't mean it's going to always occupy that space. Some plants are designed for a purpose, soil retention, mineral mining, water collection, insect attraction... etc. I think God created every plant for a specific purpose and to think that we are smarter and suppose that we are wise enough to "manage" a perfect ecosystem is foolish. Case in point, California's wildfires... they thought that putting out the naturally occuring wildfires was a great idea. I mean, duh, why should we let the forests burn? They should be maintained exactly as they are... Except decades later we realize that the burning was a part of the natural cycle and necessary to maintain the natural order of things. We need occasional forest fires to keep balance. The same principle applies to dandelions and clover. Lawns in suburbian hell need calcium and bacterial nitrogen to bring the soils back into a healthy mineralogical balance, so what just so happens to fit in that niche? Plants that collect calcium and plants that promote nitrogen fixing bacteria...

I know I should probably read all the posts in this thread before posting this but I just can't help myself. I agree with Paul that sometimes "invasive" means a plant that is needed or helpful to bring an area into proper balance. I think Sepp Holzer would agree.

*edit* HG I have to agree with you about using species native to an area to achieve a restorative effect rather than using a non-native species. Sure introducing an organism from another continent can destroy something beautiful but I think the fact of the matter is that it's going to happen sooner or later and if we can use a plant to fix the soil and restore it to a healthy balance then it will no longer fit in the soil parameters. If you have wet soils then a specific set of plants will grow there. Depending on what "you" want to grow there is what dictates what is a "weed". Just because you don't want it there doesn't mean it's a weed, it is just a signpost telling you what you need to do to make it go away. Change the environment around it and it goes away. Yes disease can invade any ecosystem and that's a tragedy. I weep for the loss of the American Chestnut but the simple fact is that nothing is forever and you-know-what happens no matter how hard we try to protect things.. (doesn't mean we stop trying though)

Return to “Permaculture Forum”